Church of Australian Metal

Sadistik Exekution is another favorite Aussie band of mine, those guys are just plain out there and I love it. Mortal Sin and Blood Duster are great too.

Reactions: CiG
And I know they're hard rock, but Airbourne just dropped their fourth album, and it frigging rips. I'm catching them on tour soon as well, small club, small stage, should be marvelous.

surprised nobody mentioned diSEMBOWELMENT yet, they're top tier in many circles. mournful congregation also, i'm not a big fan but a lot of people i respect love them. i guess funeral doom isn't so big around here. don't think hobbs' angel of death or abramelin (ex-acheron) have been mentioned yet?

Reactions: CiG
surprised nobody mentioned diSEMBOWELMENT yet, they're top tier in many circles. mournful congregation also, i'm not a big fan but a lot of people i respect love them. i guess funeral doom isn't so big around here. don't think hobbs' angel of death or abramelin (ex-acheron) have been mentioned yet?

To be sure, I'm mainly acquainted with Australia's offerings in (non-traditional) doom metal. Along with the aforementioned diSEMBOWELMENT and Mournful Congregation, see also:

Murkrat:

The Slow Death (featuring Mandy Andresen of Murkrat, but her singing style is markedly different here than her clean vocals in her own band):

Elysian Blaze (As much black metal as funeral doom, but I'll count it anyway):

Virgin Black:

The first bands I thought of were diSEMBOWELMENT, Stargazer and D666. The Wizar'd is good too.

I also think Abyssic Hate is totally fine, not top tier stuff but way ahead of what nowdays passes for "depressive black metal".