Circus Maximus

It was nice to see them get away from the Dream Theater clone sound a bit and more into their own

That's the problem with Isolate...they didn't get away from the DT signature. If anything, they adopted a more "Rudess" keyboard angle. And, the guitar tones became more Romeo-like...hence the reasons I termed them derivative.

I actually prefer Isolate over The 1st Chapter. Both albums are superb, though.

The one thing I could do without though, are the instrumentals.

I really liked Isolate, I had it in my top3 of last year...but lately I haven't had any interest to listen to the CD, and I never could get into their first album.

You & me both bro.

In Ken R's defense...I agree with his statement. :) I still think it was pointless though.

Course it was pointless. Forgot that some people get in a twist easily on this forum. :lol:

Circus Maximus is clearly a DT copy-band. But they copied the best parts of DT and went somewhere slightly original with it, so I can't really knock them much. I like both discs.

I don't like Circus Maximus. They copy both DT and Symphony X, which would be fine if it wasn't such a sub-par copy. I don't like DT, but i do like SymX, so... i wish they could have done better. The video clips i saw of them live were also entirely underwhelming.

Haven't heard Isolate, have little will to do so.

Regarding Circus Maximus and SX: I prefer both CM discs to The Odyssey and Paradise Lost, for various reasons.

Regarding Circus Maximus and DT: I prefer both CM discs to 4 of the last 5 DT albums, exluding 6DoIT.

Only 2 CM albums, but they've yet to write anything nearly as shitty as SX's Domination, Wicked or King of Terrors, or anything even closely resembling the constipated feces that is Systematic Chaos.

Good points dude... honestly, i'm trying really hard to stay away from the whole thing that circus maximus has blatantly taken riffs from at least symx (not familliar enough wtih DT to make the same claim) because honestly... well, it's just different enoguh to avoid it being plagerization (is that even a word?) and I'm one of the biggest supporters that bands don't need to be particularly original, just write good songs. I can't tell you why circus maximus grinds my gears, i just can't click with them, and honestly I personally find them uninspired.

And maybe they haven't written crappy songs like the Symphony X ones you cited, but they also haven't written anything particularly amazing in my book (See songs from Damnation Game - V).

edit: though i have to be clear that i'm not basing my like/dislike for the band based on the merits of other bands. As a stand alone band, Circus Maximus just doesn't realy do much for me. *shrug*

And maybe they haven't written crappy songs like the Symphony X ones you cited, but they also haven't written anything particularly amazing in my book (See songs from Damnation Game - V).

edit: though i have to be clear that i'm not basing my like/dislike for the band based on the merits of other bands. As a stand alone band, Circus Maximus just doesn't realy do much for me. *shrug*

You're right. Because as much as I love both CM discs, neither are as good, IMO, as DG or V. Likewise, neither are as good, IMO, as SFaM.

I guess my point was kinda like, ok well there's no doubt they've emulated two successful bands in DT and SX, but thus far, at least they haven't emulated the crappy side of both. But once again, they're only 2 albums deep so I guess we'll see.

I don't like Circus Maximus. They copy both DT and Symphony X, which would be fine if it wasn't such a sub-par copy. I don't like DT, but i do like SymX, so... i wish they could have done better. The video clips i saw of them live were also entirely underwhelming.

Haven't heard Isolate, have little will to do so.

It's a pretty different sound(comparing to 1st album), atleast worthy of a download imo

You're right. Because as much as I love both CM discs, neither are as good, IMO, as DG or V. Likewise, neither are as good, IMO, as SFaM.

I guess my point was kinda like, ok well there's no doubt they've emulated two successful bands in DT and SX, but thus far, at least they haven't emulated the crappy side of both. But once again, they're only 2 albums deep so I guess we'll see.

Give them time. That isn't a jab at them, but just the fact that a good majority of bands do decline over the course of their careers. Or maybe not decline so much as change, thus making their older fanbase grumpy :lol:

*coughevergreyicedearthmanowarcough*

I prefer the first disc myself. Looks like I am in the minority regarding that though.

Me too.

I bought the 1st Chapter in early 2006. I cannot think of any other album that I’ve purchased over the years where the opening track kicked my ass the way that “Sin” did. “The Prophecy” and Imperial Destruction” also really grabbed me from the beginning. When I discovered that CM’s only U.S. tour date that year was at the ProgPower Showcase, I booked a flight and hotel for my first ProgPower.

Since 2006, the other 5 selections in the 6-CD changer in my car have come and gone…except for this one. I listen to it almost daily!

However, when I first listened to “Isolate”, I guess I was waiting for a track to rock my world the way that “Sin” or “The Prophecy” did…but the payoff never came. Maybe this one would grow on me if I gave it a few more listens.