CLA compressors cpu usage

Derykus

Mar 14, 2011
How CPU intensive are the CLA classic compressors? For those with Cubase 5, how many instances of the stock Cubase compressor can you run and how many CLA 1176 comps can you run?

I'm using a core 2 duo laptop, and don't want to buy the CLA compressors if I can't use close to the same amount as stock Cubase compressors. I demo'd the CLA's about a year ago (so i cannot demo them again with my iLok), but I don't remember how taxing they were.

Thanks

I'm using Cubase 5 and I can run more CLA compressors than I can count. I do have the i7-2600k processor and 8GB of memory though. Also recording on SSD hard drive.

There are so many different Core 2 Duo processors. Can you be more specific. Check these charts: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

The processor I have is in the top 10 processors ever created. Can you find yours in that list?

I have a really shit dualcore currently and it STILL runs almost 1176 + la2a on most tracks :D
If anything, waves Heq kills my CPU :S

they are pretty low on CPU, in fact I can use 20-30 of those comps on my 2010 Mac Book Pro in Pro Tools with tons of tracks and other plugins.
Can't count how many I can use on my newest iMac, probably I won't even need so many of them.

I got a new trial period from Waves, very quick customer service. They use up a good chunk of CPU when running 8 instances, but it's manageable. To be honest, they are quite underwhelming, but I can definitely hear that vintage quality and character. 1176 and CLA-2A adds a certain roundness to the vocals, and is much better with sibilance than the stock Cubase compressor. I think I much prefer the API and V compressors from Waves for vocals. The CLA-3A is great for the bass though; gives some girth to the low end.

I'm using Cubase 5 and I can run more CLA compressors than I can count. I do have the i7-2600k processor and 8GB of memory though. Also recording on SSD hard drive.

There are so many different Core 2 Duo processors. Can you be more specific. Check these charts: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

The processor I have is in the top 10 processors ever created. Can you find yours in that list?

I think it could be 11th on their list actually :D I do like a good processor chit chat though... mine clocks in at 13,000 odd i think on passmark. I would like to get the new 3960x but tooo much dough really for too little gain- will be the first generation ive skipped in sometime.