Crazy CPU usage suddenly crippling my computer (Windows 7 64bit)

Ben Johnson

SSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Jan 17, 2006
Chicago
Up until today, my current project, an orchestral VST session in Cubase 6, was running perfectly. I'm running several instances of Vienna Ensemble Pro outside of Cubase into VE Pro server, and into a second slave computer.

It's a heavy session, made up of about 250 tracks (lots of MIDI, busses, reverb sends), but nothing that an i7 920 couldn't handle. Memory usage was around 1.8Gb in Cubase, and about 17Gb in VE Pro, and 20Gb on the slave computer. I don't know what the CPU usage was, as there were no issues with playback, and I didn't bother to check.

Well, today I turned on the computers and fired up the session. Normally it takes about an hour (yeah, ridiculous - I know) before I can actually begin working. But once Cubase appeared to be ready, to where the program's interface is visible, the master computer was on its knees, begging for mercy. It took a solid two minutes to get to task manager, and CPU usage was idling at 100%.

The computer was unusable in that state, so I had to close down Cubase to see what was going on. I'm surprised Cubase or Windows itself didn't crash. I ran virus tests (Spybot, Malwarebytes, etc) and everything is coming back clean.

I'm currently backing up the C drive, and I'm going to attempt a repair with the Windows installation disc. If anybody has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

I dread having to format and start over, seeing how that would probably eat up the next few days in getting everything back to a workable condition. Fortunately all my orchestral samples are on other drives. Having to reinstall those would take at least a week!