Cubase 6.5 CPU spikes

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
When I'm using Cubase 6.5 with the buffer rate low (64) I am getting CPU performance spikes. The "ASIO" meter on the performance meter goes really high. Almost all the way up and I'm getting cracks and pops. I get this if I run just one instance of either TSEX50v2.3 on high quality and 8x oversampling or using Thermionik with the oversampling on full. My computer is really fast though. It's a Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz with 16 gigs of DDR4 RAM and I have my programs running on a SSD and my audio/samples on a HDD. My audio interface is a Saffire Pro 40. Weird thing is, if I reset the computer and load up Cubase with those plugins then everything is fine and I can run multiple instances of TSE or Thermionik no problem. I'm not sure what is going on. Any of you guys encounter something like this? What do you guys have your BIOS settings on? Are you running turbo boost, hyper threading, Speedstep and C states? What do you have your USB controllers set to under device manager?

I can use it at 128 but I don't see why I cant gp any lower. Why would resetting the computer make it better? If I really have to go to 128 for everything to be fine then that's okay since I can direct monitor if I dont want any latency.

I suppose I should try reinstalling the Saffire's drivers. I already had it installed prior to getting the Saffire hooked up properly. I'm having another problem when I monitor through the Saffire rather than the DAW. When I do that and record, the recording audio sometimes comes back distorted and weird. It doesn't do that when I have the Saffire's monitor output to "DAW" though. Only when I have the output to "Mix". When it comes back distorted I change the buffer rate to something else and then back to where it was and then the problem goes away. I used to have a similar problem in the past with my old computer except it only did that on playback and not on the recorded audio. Not sure what is up with that.

It still shouldnt just spike sometimes and be fine other times though. That's kinda strange.

The more samples the better quality right? Ive heard rumours about a 12ms rule regarding the asio latency. You can always go for zero latency monitoring if you dont want latency, but once it goes through the DAW it will always produce some latency even at minimum settings. You got two options: Learn to play with latency and go for the feel or go for zero latency and your instruments will sound just how you plugged them in.

what buffer rate are you guys using when you can direct monitor through your interface?

for me its 256-512 when recording, when mixing i go for the highest buffer that is 4/8k sometimes 2k if i want to mix without that much latency (dialing in stuffs etc..)

cool thanks. I have another issue which the recorded audio gets distorted.

"I'm having another problem when I monitor through the Saffire rather than the DAW. When I do that and record, the recording audio sometimes comes back distorted and weird. It doesn't do that when I have the Saffire's monitor output to "DAW" though. Only when I have the output to "Mix". When it comes back distorted I change the buffer rate to something else and then back to where it was and then the problem goes away. I used to have a similar problem in the past with my old computer except it only did that on playback and not on the recorded audio. Not sure what is up with that."

what the hell can cause that? I'd post a screen shot of my cubase audio settings but I don't see how I can without uploading it to a website which is lame. Here are my settings

Release Driver When Application Is In Background: Unchecked
Audio Priority: Normal
Multi Processing: Checked
Activate Steinberg Audio Power Scheme: Unchecked
Disk Preload: 2 seconds
Adjust for Record Latency: Checked
Record Shift: 0 Samples

dammit. I am now using a VIA firewire card that is confirmed to work with my Saffire. Focusrite sent it to me. The Saffire works but I am still getting CPU spikes. It seems to only be with the TSEX50v2.3 and Thermionik. Of course those plugins take up more resources than anything else I have right now. I don't know what the issue is. Even at 128 buffer rate it the performance bar in Cubase 6.5 is almost all the way up. I'll reset the computer and it'll be fine.

just the amp sim is active. I have my power management on high performance. I don't get it. I have to put my buffer rate at 512 or higher to no get pops and clicks. I just tested with my Pod HD 500 as the audio interface and I get the same issue. I'm going to try to use another USB another audio interface that is a proper interface and not a pod to see if it is an issue with my Saffire (firewire) or not. This is extremely frustrating. I just got this computer and paid a lot of money to get a nice fast computer and I have had all these issues. Maybe because it's so new (2011v2 mobo with the core i7 six core 5820k processor and ddr4 RAM)and just isnt stable yet for DAW use. The audio world is always so far behind.

I don't have a wireless router on my computer. I'm having a more serious issue with my computer too which is my recorded audio randomly comes out distorted . I only does it on recording audio. I don't ever have that problem on playback either in cubase or windows.