Why does Cubase 5 crash

iHate

Mar 31, 2009
I thought it was just because S2.0 took up so much RAM that it was causing Cubase to crash, but even after I turn it off it still crashes with very little cpu usage. After a certain amount of edits Cubase will relentlessly crash and cause me much agony. There seems to be no reason for a crash, but I'm shit deep into a project and I cannot finish it now.

I disable every plugin and it still crashes, so I am convinced it is the amount of edits and use of vari-audio. Cpu usage is low and disk seems fine yet it still crashes. I installed the latest C5 update when it came out a while back and it made things infinitely worse so I went back to 5.1.

Anyone know what I can do? I can't stand the cubase forum. I'm about to break another computer because of cubase if I cant find a fix before tomorrow.

I don't have issues either. However when it used to crash, getting rid of free plugins was always the solution for me.

That's probably my problem, I'm using a lot in this specific project. Dont know what I'm going to do now.

I installed 5.5 update and it doesnt crash anymore, but now I have a new problem, the CPU spikes every 2 seconds and I can't really do anything productive while that is happening.

I wish I wasn't brought up on Cubase and so I could switch over to something more stable. Tried reaper and was not having that.

Because you touch yourself at night?

But seriously, try a reformat and reinstall and avoid the freeware crap. I have virtually zero issues with my C5 install on either machine unless I start doing stupid stuff really quickly on a large session.

Because you touch yourself at night?

But seriously, try a reformat and reinstall and avoid the freeware crap. I have virtually zero issues with my C5 install on either machine unless I start doing stupid stuff really quickly on a large session.

So you're telling me if I start selling plugins instead of making freeware plugins there's a smaller chance they will crash cubase?

Funny how people trust expensive things more. I've seen retailers that raise the price a bit just not to be the cheapest. Customers may not trust the lowest prices in some cases, go figure the freeware.

dont use a cracked version?

Great answer, solved all my problems. I was waiting for this response; expected it to come in the first 2-3 posts.

DSC00344.JPG

:wave:

I just kept pushing through the asio overload every 2 seconds and got as far as I could. Oddly enough, when I turned on all of my reverbs, S2.0, and compressors, the computer stopped being as choppy. Still something wrong, but I can at least finish.

Jeff, I'd reformat and reinstall but I've got to have this project done today. But I'm not sure it'd help; I had one of my own songs a while back with only stock Cubase plugins, massive amounts of edits, and punch-ins, and it did something very similar.

I also set my buffer settings to the highest it can go with my firepod. 25ms. Any lower and it will not even run on this project. I usually run it at 6ms on an unedited/unmassive project.

I'm upgrading soon though...

So you're telling me if I start selling plugins instead of making freeware plugins there's a smaller chance they will crash cubase?

Naw, but as soon as you start making them for OS X they won't crash anything and fairy dust will shoot out of your asshole! :D

But seriously - there's freeware and then there's... free. ware. There is some shoddily coded shit out there.