Classic Horror: the Remakes

GregadethBloodBrawl

Thrasher Dave's Pimp
Sep 29, 2008
Sheffield
www.myspace.com
I work in a comic shop and 'cause of this I get to know what films are coming before most. So when I found out they're remaking Nightmare on Elm Street WITHOUT Robert Englund, I was fuming... what enraged me further was the fact that he is being replaced by (of all people...) Billy Bob Thornton!
I mean it's bad enough remaking the film in the first place as the Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre films were just terrible, the new Freddy Krueger is Billy Bob Thornton! I feel sorry for the kids that see these terrible American teen slasher films with more girls screaming than a chinese brothel and probably have no recollection or remember the originals!
They're also remaking: Childs Play (which was shit to start with) and Friday the 13th (which has Jason Voohres in for all of 30 seconds).
I wish film makers would have fresh ideas instead of game or comic adaptations or remakes.
Anyone else think they shouldn't remake these films?

Though I am looking forward to the Metal Gear Solid film and the Watchmen

METAL GEAR SOLID WILL BE AWESOME
I heard Christian Bale was in the run to be Snake, and hopefully Daniel Day-Lewis will be Ocelot.

Horror remakes ARE getting annoying though. I didn't mind Texas Chainsaw Massacre, it's one of those movies where if you're super bored and have nothing to do, you watch it. To be honest, I liked the way Rob Zombie reinvisioned Halloween (me being a devout Halloween fan [Michael Myers could kill Jason any day of the week (specifically Halloween)]) but the teen chicks were fucking annoying. Not to mention that Laurie wasn't the same as the original Laurie, she just didn't seem innocent. I found myself rooting for Michael in the second half of the movie, feeling sorry for him in the first half (all that shit he went through) and leaving the theatre going "meh." Every year since I got into Halloween (7th-ish grade) I've rented the entire series to watch when Halloween comes around, this year I'm gonna have to flip a coin to see which Halloween I'll watch to count as the first one.

If I did a marathon no doubt the original man.....roz zombies was good but you cant top john carpenter :)

Yeah I hate the remakes too. Are you serious about Billy Bob Thorton? You cant have freddy without robert englund.....thats just silly......come on.

Re-makes should only be allowed if they can improve upon what came before it and add to what was already there....

perfect case for remakes is THE THING, probably the best remake ever. then THE FLY, they both took the original B-film ideas and improved them into classic films.

whereas remakes like psycho which was shot for shot, was just fucking pointless, same for dawn of the dead, what did that add? nothing. what did the hills have eyes add? nothing. what texas chainsaw massacre add? nothing, if anything all these films do is detract from the originals and make you realise that they didn't need remaking!!

Planet of the apes as well, pointless. and i'm pretty sure that the day the earth stood still will be SHIT, keanu reeves can't act, the original is pretty good, but gort's rubber suit is pretty funny and the whole thing is so wooden that surely they can improve it at least a bit before turning it into a special effects shop window.... we shall see!!

I am legend is another, its been remade 4 times now under different titles and they still cant get it bloody right. although the newest one, with the correct title with will smith, was fucking good until the stupid cgi creatures turned up, and the theatrical ending was just BALLS. i'm getting the blu-ray this weekend because it has an alternative ending thats supposed to be excellent, so i will give that a try, because i love the concept for the film.... it's something that everyone has wondered about at some point in their life, probably as a child "what would it be like to be the last man on earth?"....

War of the worlds was a pretty good attempt by steven spielberg, even though you just cant quite believe tom cruise as a crane operating shit dad. The whole thing seemed rushed though, and it had RIDICULOUS gaps in logic, but it had spielberg magic all over it which saved it.

most remakes are done by first time directors though, who have only done music videos before so they do remakes as an easy way into the film game...... but in doing so they fuck with things that shouldnt be fucked with. If you notice, its the established directors who have made the good remakes. because they know what needs remaking.

rant over.