Classic Metal Albums

WILKS

Sep 9, 2002
Underground
Visit site
O.k so we are all Saxon fans.But out of the other metal greats which are your favourite albums.Here us a few to get us started.

AC/DC Back In Black.As a whole the Bon Scott era is much better but this album is one on of the greatest (metal) albums of all time.Right from the start Your ears starty to bleed and there is no let up .

Iron Maiden Number Of the Beast.It had to be didnt it.For me the only Maiden album that was close was the first.I think thats due to me being more punk than metal.Peace of Mind and slavery are pretty good but both have weak tracks.The last Maiden album I brought was somewhere In Time.I carried on going to see them live until Bruce left.But I have never rated Blaze much so I stopped.

I think this could be a good thread lets here what you think and the other great metal albums and then we can all argue the toss.

Seventh son of a seventh son too, gotta be my favourite album! But indeed Number of the Beast is a classic and very good too (and important as it was maiden's major break-through).
Fear of the Dark is a killer also, with some really good songs!

Stratovarius Visions, almost a perfect album. Maybe it's too new to be a classic, but still a great album.

Metal Church's Metal Church. With wicked lyrics and amazing riffs and solos it rocks.

I've heard quite a few people rave about Maidens Seventh Son album, but in my opinion it it quite possibly the worst album of all time! Well, definitely Maidens worst album. But Number of the beast is certainly a great album. And Back in black to of course.

I'm 'Old School', so I don't have to look much further than Judas Priest's 'British Steel' album, or Venoms 'Welcome to hell', or even Tanks 'Filth hounds of Hades', for great metal albums.

Old School Metal? Hmmmmmmmmm what about the Tygers of Pan Tang's Spellbound? Or Motorhead's Overkill and Ace of Spades? I just recently picked up those albums on CD remastered. They'll still KICK YOUR ASS!!! :headbang:

Iron Maiden's Killers? You definitely can't go wrong with that one. And then maybe alittle Judas Priest with Screaming For Vengeance. I could go on and on.

O.k I have to agree with Pax ,I never did get into 7th Son....and sorry mate but I think Killers is just that bit weaker although its still a killer(groan) album.As for Priest I dont think they ever made a great album as such.For me it was more of a case the strong tracks were so fucking great it made other tracks sound weak,and most of them would stand up against most metal tunes.Tank,evan now I have never heard that album must get it.As for TOPT I always enoyrd The Cage more.

I have to defend my opinion it seems! ;)

Every track on 7th son of a 7th is a masterpiece! not a single bad or even mediocre track! And it is good on every frontier; song, guitars, bass, drums, musical innovation and lyrics. Especially the lyrics!

Like Steve Harris's Infinite Dreams and The Clairvoyant has some of the best lyrics ever. It just can't get any better.

Now, defend yours!

What's wrong Paxoman, 7th son is one of my favorite albums of all-time and I was just about to rave about that right here. Anyway here's my list.

DOKKEN - Back for the Attack
This album contains everything we expect from a metal album, blazing guitars, sonic vocals, tight musicianship, great songwritings, and heaviness. This album is filled with heavy metal classics like Kiss of Death, So Many Tears, Dream Warriors, Heaven Sent etc. There are people labeling Dokken a hair band just because Dokken was from 80s, and it's so sad. They were much more than that still still is.

IRON MAIDEN - 7th Son
As I stated earlier my favorite Maiden album of all-time. This album has the best Maiden song of all-time in Moonchild, and there are absolutely no fillers on this album. And Bruce Dickinson has peaked out as a vocalist here, his vocals have started to decline since No Prayer for The Dying, the might Maiden at their best. An instant classic.

TEN - The Name of the Rose
An immensely talented band that is being underrated by metal fans for no reasons. Gary Hughes is a genius songwriter and on this album his ability to write songs with both melodies and heaviness shows.

This is a great thread and I want to see what other people think.

There are way too many classic metal albums to remark upon, but here's a glimpse of some of my favs:

Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
In my opinion, the single best metal record ever recorded. The atmosphere & 'feeling' contained in these songs is otherwordly. Everything came together perfectly with this record....a timeless classic!

Accept - Balls To the Wall
This is a band that's always fallen under the radar, but they've released a string of classic records that are amazing. "Balls" was the peak, IMO. The production is great (very heavy drum sound), great riffs/songwriting, etc. Although Udo's vocals are somewhat lacking, he does a very admirable job here! Great album!

Rainbow - Rising
Another classic with Dio at the helm. This record is the heaviest thing that the great Blackmore was ever to be involved with. Although only 6 songs, each is a masterpiece! And the epic "Stargazer" is simply a metal encyclopedia in 8 minutes!

Judas Priest - Sad wings of destiny: A milestone i metal and with probaly the best HM vocalist ever.

Rainbow - Rising and Long live Rock'n'Roll: It doesen't get more classic than this Dio and Blackmore at their best.

Savatage - Sirens: One of the pioneers of the US metal scene along with Jag Panzer and Virgin Steele.

Mercyful Fate - Melissa: Very original band. Influenced a lot of bands spanning from Metallica to underground black metal.

Memento Mori said:
Judas Priest - Sad wings of destiny: A milestone i metal and with probaly the best HM vocalist ever.

Rainbow - Rising and Long live Rock'n'Roll: It doesen't get more classic than this Dio and Blackmore at their best.

Savatage - Sirens: One of the pioneers of the US metal scene along with Jag Panzer and Virgin Steele.

Mercyful Fate - Melissa: Very original band. Influenced a lot of bands spanning from Metallica to underground black metal.
All great choices!

"Melissa" is a pure classic. NO RECORD has ever captured such an 'evil' or demonic feel. None of the new black metal bands comes close (well, except for Emperor's "In the Nightside Eclipse").

Fair play Crusader.This is what I was wanted from this thread debate on classic metalbands and which is the best album they did.

Well Crusader I have to say although I resect your choice of Maiden albums you are so wrong:) .Yeah,yeah cleaver lyrics great solos fantastic playing,but at the end of the day its smart arse metal for the masses.The first album is like a kick in the bollocks.Its raw simple and at the same time sharp and brave so the the lyric aint great but they dont need to be .It is attitude that make this album and there is bags of that.Running Free,Phamtom,charlotte.At the time there was nothing likeit and for me they never got that right again.

Here's some of my favorites:
Saxon: Power and Glory - this kicked me into metal age...
Judas Priest: Ram It Down - Pure butt kicking metal
Sentenced: The Cold White Light - Death metal from Finland, great melodies and lyrics
Saxon: Unleash the Beast - imho best Saxon album so far
Iron Maiden: Peace of Mind - well, great guitars and Mr. Dickinson

CybErzi said:
Sentenced: The Cold White Light - Death metal from Finland, great melodies and lyrics
I would hardly consider Sentenced to be death metal. They've been a GREAT band since 1995. Their pre-95 material was death metal, as was the former singer, but their current incarnation is more of a Maiden/Priest/Saxon/Metallica hybrid with a raspy Hetfield on vocals. Great MELODIES & solos and NO cheese.

It's a shock that Sentenced isn't a huge band.

Their last 3 records are classics!

WILKS said:
Fair play Crusader.This is what I was wanted from this thread debate on classic metalbands and which is the best album they did.

Well Crusader I have to say although I resect your choice of Maiden albums you are so wrong:) .Yeah,yeah cleaver lyrics great solos fantastic playing,but at the end of the day its smart arse metal for the masses.The first album is like a kick in the bollocks.Its raw simple and at the same time sharp and brave so the the lyric aint great but they dont need to be .It is attitude that make this album and there is bags of that.Running Free,Phamtom,charlotte.At the time there was nothing likeit and for me they never got that right again.
Don't forget Iron Maiden! ;) (the song i mean).

There are so many albums by classic metal bands that i really love, i could fill the page with them. So here is a list of 'some' of them. . .
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Motorhead - Overnight Sensation
Saxon - Unleash The Beast
Helloween - Walls Of Jericho
Accept - Restless And Wild
Twisted Sister - Under The Blade
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
The Scorpions - Blackout
Yngwie J Malmsteen's Rising Force - Marching Out
Europe - Europe
Dio - Dream Evil
Thin Lizzy - Thunder And Lightning
I could go on, and on.......... (but i won't)

For me, 7th son is Maidens worst album. And it's definitely my least favourite one. Killers is a good album, but it's not as good as the first one imo. But none of them touch Number of the beast. Although 'Fear of the dark' comes close. Anyway, this isn't an Iron Maiden thread!

Some great albums have been mentioned so far, Balls to the wall, Spellbound, Back from the attack, Heaven and Hell, Ace of Spades, Blackout. It makes me want to get out the beer and sit in front of the hi-fi and play all the old classic albums!

SoundMaster said:
I would hardly consider Sentenced to be death metal. They've been a GREAT band since 1995. Their pre-95 material was death metal, as was the former singer, but their current incarnation is more of a Maiden/Priest/Saxon/Metallica hybrid with a raspy Hetfield on vocals. Great MELODIES & solos and NO cheese.

It's a shock that Sentenced isn't a huge band.

Their last 3 records are classics!

Yeah yeah! Once death metal band, always death metal band, u know... :D
Sentenced is not having much gigs in Europe :yell: , so mayby that's one reason for not being huge band.
Yep, Frozen and Crimson albums are great, with that 'new' melodic style.

I like:

Black Sabbath - Sabotage

AC/DC - Let There Be Rock

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son (by far their best album, IMO No Prayer for the Dying was by far their worst)

Motorhead - March or Die

KISS - Hotter Than Hell

Black Sabbath (DIO) - Heaven & Hell

I would choose...
...Rainbow Rising: Dio and Blackmore, do I need to say more...?
...Iron Maiden - Fear of the dark/Brave new world: Fotd because I think its maiden at their best, and Bnw because I think it's a fantastic album. First album when Bruce joined em again, which makes you forget about that lousy period with Blaze. ;)
...Helloween - keeper of the seven keys pt 1 & 2:except for the fact they're great albums, they have the most influence on powermetal of today. Look at Edguy, Nocturnal rites, etc...
...Black Sabbath - heaven & hell: I've always prefered BS with Dio and I consider this one as his best.