Classics covered by rock/metal bands

razoredge

Jul 22, 2007
In my self indulged thinking brought on by recent discussions about classical composers and progressive bands from the past 4 decades I was wondering what bands and the song we can think of that directly, intentionally used pieces of music composed by the classical composers. I can think of only 4 off the top of my head but will let others go first. Maybe theres some I havent heard.

Well, Symphony X for one. Adagio. Helloween (guitar solos based on classical stuff). That's what I can get off the top of my head.

ok ok ok , hang on, I was looking for titles of exact songs so I know what to look for.

for example Savatages Prelude to Madness was from a popular classical piece, but be damned if I know what its called or who wrote it. I think its some countries national anthem too.

What or where did Symphony X use a classical piece ?

Ok I have quite a list, for Symphony X.

V: The New Mythology Suite
Prelude - inspired by Giuseppi Verdi (Dies Irae Requiem)
Fool's Paradise solo part- inspired by Bach (Harpsichord concerto in D minor)
Some other part of V- Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra (Don't know yet)

Divine Wings of Tragedy (song)
Choir intro- inspired by Bach (Mass in B Minor)
Heavy intro- inspired by Gustav Holst (The Planets- Mars)

Paradise Lost
Set the World on Fire intro riff- inspired by Dream Theater (In the Prescence of my Enemies Part I) exact time 4:15-4:30
Revelation- inspired by Yngwie Malmsteen (I am a Viking) lol

Twilight in Olympus
Sonata - Beethoven (obvious)
Through the looking Glass intro- inspired by Dream Theater (Surrounded)

That's about all I can think of right now.

Set the World on Fire intro riff- inspired by Dream Theater (In the Prescence of my Enemies Part I) exact time 4:15-4:30

I hope you're joking. Yes, they sound similar, but the DT album was released 3 weeks before the SX, so there's no way the one song was inspired by the other.

If anything, DT's use of that melody was inspired by Symphony X. When I got the new DT album, the first thing I thought when I heard that part was "hey, that sounds like Symphony X". The truth is, the opening of Set the World on Fire is similar to parts of a few other SX songs.

I hope you're joking. Yes, they sound similar, but the DT album was released 3 weeks before the SX, so there's no way the one song was inspired by the other.

If anything, DT's use of that melody was inspired by Symphony X. When I got the new DT album, the first thing I thought when I heard that part was "hey, that sounds like Symphony X". The truth is, the opening of Set the World on Fire is similar to parts of a few other SX songs.

I thought someone would bring up that point, and I already have a perfect answer. Time Travel. Michael Romeo. I know its sounds crazy, but I am gonna post a whole other thread on this thing once I get the full details worked out. Surrounded- TTLG, STWOF- ITPOME Part 1, and This Dying Soul- Fire Garden Suite (Steve Vai) all have some connection with Time Travel.

It's also funny to imagine Petrucci and Romeo at a bar in NYC having a few beers and coming up with the plan to put a similar melody on their new albums so their fans will have flamewar. :kickass: :lol:

Quite a bit of all the Trans-Siberian Orchestra cd's have classical parts in them. Can't give examples right now as my cd's and I are separated by about 50 miles (I'm housesitting for my brother).

If this turns into a VS thread, it's gonna get locked!
(I'm just sayin'.....)

I don't understand who would go against who in the versus thread. I assume you me SX and DT, but nah, I know the rules, none of that here. I am gonna post that time travel debate in a few days though. It will be in a different thread.

I recogonized the similarity of S X to D T imeadiatly when I first found Symphony X and I was linked them on Amazon where it said people that have purchased Dream Theater have also purchased Symphony X, I thought wow thats cool and upon listening to samples I began my collection. There are differences but very compatable. I actually assumed they were from Europe due to the neo classical sound but was even happier when I found they were based in Jersey.

The Transiberian stuff stemed from Savatages Dead Winter Dead LP where they used pieces from both Mozart and Beethoven

So theres two I guess three that I knew of
Savatage - Prelude to Madness - Hall of the Mountain King
Savatage - Mozart and Madness & Dead Winter Dead from - D W D
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody (the choral part) I knew it came from somewhere but just yesterday I heard a Mozart tribute put together by one of the later composers that contained a few of the melodies
Crack the Sky - Did a cool live jam that included some of the Nut Cracker Suite in the middle of Surf City (I think). Disclaimer - I recommend this band cautiously to the younger or metal crowd, is has to be select songs. They were kind of an avant guard, alternative, tongue in cheek, progressively confused, hardrock band in the mid 70's. Their first self titled work (1975) was voted best new band or something along that lines in Rolling Stone and is all great to my old ears. Their 3rd studio album Safety in Numbers '78 has a song on it called Nuclear Apathy that is a must hear in my opinion. The second Animals Notes was actually a concept album but a bit bazaar for most with nothing heavy in it, kinda had a Broadway feel. They did a few during the eighties too but its all pick and choose, lots of off the wall stuff with a few great songs. Anyhow :rolleyes: They did a few classical approaches as well as the Nutcracker Suite jam