Orchestra classics, performed by metal bands?

DeathRattle12

Jan 16, 2009
ok, i don't know whats out there exactly, but anyone know of any classical music pieces being done by metal bands? for example (Ride of The Valkyries, anything by beethoven) etc.....just thought they'd be cool

Mekong Delta - "Pictures At An Exhibition" (Mussorgsky)
Mekong Delta - "Night On A Bare Mountain" (Mussorgsky)
Mekong Delta - "Allegro" (from Symphony No. 10 by Shostakovich)

Haggard do an orchestral and female operatic version of the traditional song "Herr Mannelig".

you might also want to check out an album released just last year

True Symphonic Rockestra - Concerto in True Minor

LastFM
True Symphonic Rockestra is an opera-oriented project founded by Dirk Ulrich featuring Dream Theater vocalist James LaBrie accompanied by opera tenors Vladimir Grishko and Thomas Dewald.

The idea, dating back to 2000, was to get three world class singers to perform rock versions of the “best of” repertoire of the original Three Tenors (Luciano Pavarotti, Placido Domingo, and Jose Carreras) combining the operatic elements with metal elements. Finally, in 2006, this idea became a reality.

(I really like "Moon River", "Tu, ca nun chiagne", and "Dorogoi Dlinnoyu")

Necrophagist ends their song Only Ash Remains with Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet.

Metallica plays March of a Marionette.

Children of Bodom throw baroque and classical melodies into a lot of their songs, especially on their earlier albums.

From the album Something Wild:
The opening riff for "Red Light in My Eyes, Part 2" is from Mozart's Symphony No. 25 and later there's a riff from his Requiem K.626: 'Confutatis'; the intro to Red Light in My Eyes, Part I is from Bach's Two Part Invention No. 13.
From the album Hatebreeder:
The album also includes some Mozart music: Piano Concerto N�20 K.466 appears in "Black Widow" and the "Queen Of The Night Aria" from "The Magic Flute" appears in "Hatebreeder".

Also, pretty much every band ever covers Phantom of the Opera.

Skyclad released a cover of Aran Khachatourian's 'Sabre Dance' on their Irrational Anthems album. Therion and the polish band Aion both covered the famous 'O, Fortuna'

Dvorak's New World Symphony referenced here:

Beethoven in here..5th symphony..and the ever-famous no14 shows up later...very fun song (two parts since it's long):

Last edited by a moderator:
Dragonland have a song called Beethoven's Nightmare that borrows a lot from his stuff and appears to be about him and stuff. It's not terribly good, and tbh that album is more or less everything I don't like about "prog" power - gay keys, pointless attempts to stuff too many riffs in, resulting in the few really spectacular bits being shafted, and weak song structure, as well as not actually being remotely progressive.