Extremely Unique Bands

NinjaGeek

Feb 22, 2007
I always try to find really new interesting bands that have a very unique sound and use more instruments than the standard metal line up. However it always seems I find my favorite bands in other people's requests for music than my own. Some really kick ass unique bands that I like are Apocalyptica, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Liquid Tension Experiment, and Nile. Does anyone know some bands that don't sound anything like those bands but are just as unique and creative? And please no folk metal, I already have loads of folk metal(unless it has other influences and is crazy awesome and way different from your standard folk metal band).

Demoniac- The Fire and The Wind (Power/Traditional with Black Metal Vocals)
Unexpect (Avant Garde Metal)
Maudlin of the Well (Avant Garde Metal)
Lykathea Aflame (Death Metal/Grind/Egyptian)
Psyopus- (Chaotic Technical Grind)

I agree with Unexpect, Psycopus and Lycathea Aflame, I was going to mention them all

Sigh's Imaginary Sonicscape

Cynic

Type O Negative (not an unknown name but there are not a lot of bands that play sludgy doom/70's pop in b tuning with sub basso vocals and black sabbath and hardcore influences)

Ne Obliviscaris (Flamenco in Black Metal, with a classic/jazz violinist doing baritone and falsetto clean vocals with semi-classical intonation... its hard to explain how they bring together two dozen odd genres into melodic black metal).

Atrox (most of all their album "Terrestrials" and - as far as vocals are concerned - also their album "Contentum", both still featuring Monika Edvardsen on vocals, who was also responsible for their unique lyrics and the unique cover artwork)

Fear Of God - "Within The Veil" (unique vocals by Dawn Crosby (R.I.P.) - try the three mp3s in the music-section)

Stolen Babies

Voivod

Mekong Delta (original German thrash metal)

np: Candlemass - "Embracing The Styx"

Melt Banana is like Japanese spazzcore with squeeky female vocals. It gets violent at times. I like em.

The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium is recommended for a psychodelic zeppelin, sort of alternative jam band. Never real heavy, but very music and enjoyable.

I saw SC3 live for the 2nd time last month, they were fucking amazing. The first time I saw them was 9 years ago and I'd all but forgotten how good they are live. The level of musicianship is something to behold.

I'd love to see SGM and Estradasphere.

I saw SC3 live for the 2nd time last month, they were fucking amazing. The first time I saw them was 9 years ago and I'd all but forgotten how good they are live. The level of musicianship is something to behold.

I'd love to see SGM and Estradasphere.

SC3 were best the first time I saw them... they had the bass up WAY too loud last time. Where did you see them? I was in SF.

SC3 were best the first time I saw them... they had the bass up WAY too loud last time. Where did you see them? I was in SF.

I saw them in Melbourne both times. The mix started out a little bass heavy when I saw them last, but it came good about 10 minutes in.