Clean and Acoustic guitars

Sep 20, 2005
I was wondering what all of you do when recording clean and acoustics. I've heard a lot of talk about distortion obviously but there's always that soft spot on every metal CD that should sound ridiculously beautiful (if only to be ruined :p ) anyway, what do you guys do? specific mics or techniques? doubling or not? Anything! Thanks. :)

P.S. I did use the search function and didn't find much of anything so I think this is warranted.

if you can get your hands on the last SoS issue with the cover dvd, theres a video showing mic techniques on there.

General tips:

listen to the mic as you move it around the guitar to find the place you like it best, usually where the neck connects to the body is a good starting point.

try recording over a wooden floor, the reflections will make it more lively sounding.

DO NOT use a piezo EVER, those things sound awful, only good for live stuff where a mic would be hard work.

I don't have a Piezo so it doesn't really matter to me but just out of curiousty does anyone know how the begining of "A Change of seasons" by dream theater was recorded? Was that a Piezo? I think it sounds pretty good.

I've had some decent results generally just pointing the mic around the 12th fret of the guitar. Back it off maybe 30cm or whatever, depending how much room you want.

I think the important thing to note is that a nice room really complements an acoustic guitar's sound. A nice 'semi-live' space can sound pretty excellent.

Sinister Mephisto said:
I don't have a Piezo so it doesn't really matter to me but just out of curiousty does anyone know how the begining of "A Change of seasons" by dream theater was recorded? Was that a Piezo? I think it sounds pretty good.

Petrucci is known to use a mix of mic'd acoustic and piezo sounds on record.

Moonlapse said:
I've had some decent results generally just pointing the mic around the 12th fret of the guitar. Back it off maybe 30cm or whatever, depending how much room you want.

I think the important thing to note is that a nice room really complements an acoustic guitar's sound. A nice 'semi-live' space can sound pretty excellent.

Try adding a second mic, pointed just below the soundhole to the middle of the body that sounds great in combination with a mic at he 12th fret. I occasionally use a mic over the shoulder of the player too, pointed towards the ground in front of the soundhole. All three mixed properly combine to make a great acoustic recording.

Damn, I need to do some more singer/songwriter style stuff, I haven't done any since college 3yrs ago.

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
nah, i agree with you really, on electrics they're cool enough but acoustics just sound shite

The new Taylors sound pretty damn good direct. My Tackamines sound like shite direct though.

However, not everyone has a Taylor available. I'm lucky enough to be working with a singer/songwriter right now with two of them (a 600 and a 700 series :worship: )

Razorjack's suggestions are exactally what I use for mic'ing up acoustics.