Cleaning Bass Strings

Chainsaw Calligraphy

Connoisseur of Sound
Jul 2, 2010
Manchester, UK
Because I'm cheap and bass strings aren't. I've never tried this before but alot of bassists swear by doing things like boiling their strings to return some life to them. I've just left an old set to soak in methylated spirits overnight as this seemed like one of the less retarded suggestions and I wasn't in the mood for string stew. Has anyone tried this before and had any success? I can't help but wonder why I'd never heard of this as a guitarist but it seems to be fairly common among bassists. If I can find a recording with the old strings I'll make a before and after comparison tomorrow.

I can't help but wonder why I'd never heard of this as a guitarist but it seems to be fairly common among bassists.

Because guitar strings are so much cheaper than bass strings. I tried the boiling thing twice and it does sound a lot brighter (wouldn´t say "like new") for a short period, and from my experience you can only use this trick once for each set of strings.

Never heard of this spirit thing, but it does sound like black magic. Me gusta.

Good to know I'm not wasting my time with this. It would be cool to compare the difference between cleaned strings and a fresh set but I don't have any bass strings around at the moment.

I've heard it's best to boil them and then put them in the oven to make the water evaporate and stop rusting.

For recording though I'd rather just buy a new set.

The effect is so short lived that I just don't think it's worth going to the trouble really.
Buy strings in bulk = LOTS of money saved without the hassle of boiling strings