Servisol super 10 to clean strings

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
I have made an amazing discovery.:yow:
I needed to use my Warwick Rockbass for a session a couple of months ago.
It has the bottom 4 of a 5 string set on it tuned to B but the strings were pretty dead and I hadn't got a new set of 5 strings to put on it.

I know Servisol Super 10 switch cleaner dissolves grease and removes gunk so I sprayed it on a cloth then wiped the strings, wrapping the cloth around each one. After a couple of runs up and down on each string I checked and they were bright and clear. The cloth was black with grease and gunk. You can actually hear the strings start to squeak after a couple of runs up and down removes the grease.
This was a much bigger difference than the old boil the strings in vinegar method.
Servisol also leaves a micro coating to prevent further grease build up.

I now wipe the strings of any of the studio guitars that don't have brand new strings before and after every session they are used on. Obviously if the strings are old I replace them but nearly new strings come up perfect using this.
Especially great for bass strings.

It may sound crazy but try it and see.
You should always have a can of this stuff anyway for cleaning switches, pots and valve sockets etc.

Used to do this all the time with WD40 on a cloth. Smells a bit but it makes the guitars play and sound like they've new strings. Using warm soapy water on a cloth with washing up liquid all does the trick but probably isn't great for continual re use, probably makes them rust faster. I used to do it anway and never had an issue!

Boiling strings, especially the wound ones works a treat too but it's a little messy.

Obviously keep all this off the fretboard and away from your electronics.