Good Bass Strings? (Don't say Rotosound)

Uladyne

Greg
Oct 20, 2006
Oregon Coast
ARRGGGGHHH! Fucking Rotosound strings suck for bass. I'll be damned if they're any brighter than the old strings they replaced. Plus they actually feel old. WTF!? This is my second set of them and both sets were both fucked right out of the box.

Anyway, rant aside, I tried a set of GHS Boomers but the 5th string wouldn't fit in the bridge of my bass because of the way the ball end is wound (super thick there). What a waste of money. So you can see my frustration.

I've always liked Ernie Ball Super Slinky's on guitar but haven't tried them on my bass yet. I'm kind of worried that they won't fit. I need some strings that will actually fit my bass and that don't sound and feel like they're 6 years old.

Oh yea, FUCK ROTOSOUND BASS STRINGS! :bah:

Aren't Rotosounds nickel wire with nickel wrapping. Stainless wire with Stainless wrap will be a lot brighter and I think hold it longer.

I have never been a fan of Rotosounds unless you are using a pick, use lots of distortion, and mostly just chug along with the guitars. The meatiness of the Rotosounds balance the rest of the spectrum.

I am personally a big fan of Curt Mangan strings, and that is pretty much all I use on everything these days. Somewhere in between Ernie Balls and D'Addarios. I never liked DR's or GHS either or Ernie Ball for that matter. On bass I also tend to like SIT and D'Addarios for the price mainly.

I found D'Addarios die FAST on bass and guitar. I don't mind them when I get 10 sets for $10 though.

Ernie Ball guitar strings are ok, but are a bit more round sounding. I find DR guitar strings are brightest and last the longest, I'm not sure how this translates to bass, but I would suspect similarities. But DR is about $10 more than a similar Ernie Ball set.

D'Addarios are my go to strings for both guitar and bass.
Dependable strings that last long enough if you treat them well and they sound fantastic and are priced well.

Currently, I'm running Boomers, but seeing as you already tried those...

If you want a good, bright stainless steel set, I can recommend DR Hi Beams. I don't know what the ball end is like on a fifth string because I have a 4-string bass. But their strings don't seem to have excessive amounts of wrap on the ball end...

(I almost bought Rotosounds last time at the guitar shop, just to try something different.. Glad I didn't now.) ;)

I love me some D'Addarios. The perfect balance of bright and musical tone, IMO. I love the mids they have.

Oh, but now that you mention it, I did have some trouble fitting them thru the bridge of one of my basses. The 5th string, I mean.

Maybe try the Warwick strings. They 5th string is thinner around the place where the ball end is.

d'addarios are alright....
but the only set of strings that is really good enough for me are the Warwick Black Labels.....they've got the best midrange growl, bark and snarl

I found D'Addarios die FAST on bass and guitar. I don't mind them when I get 10 sets for $10 though.

Ernie Ball guitar strings are ok, but are a bit more round sounding. I find DR guitar strings are brightest and last the longest, I'm not sure how this translates to bass, but I would suspect similarities. But DR is about $10 more than a similar Ernie Ball set.

10 sets for $10!? Seriously!? Thats like £6, I can only get one set of strings for that! Where are you getting strings at that price? I might have to start importing them.

D'addarios are good but the low B always seems more "mush" than note....ive recorded my whole EP with them so I can't say they are that bad! :D I tried the Warwicks and I thought they were okay. I still want to find a brand with a tight low B which has clarity.