Cleaning Equipment...

shred101

Nov 26, 2009
Before recording... A)Has anyone got any viewpoints on what differences it makes to the sound in terms of guitar strings, cymbals, skins, connectors, etc. and whats the biggest thing to focus on to get a great sound. B) How to clean stuff? Whats the best thing to use for cleaning cymbals for starters, I have been told brasso but I would imagine that this might corrode some cymbals.

If you make barkeepers friend into a mushy paste with no hard clumps in it and apply it to cymbals, it washes them VERY well.

Difference in tone wouldn't happen unless it was over a very long period that the patina accumulated on the cymbals.

-Greg

what differences it makes to the sound in terms of guitar strings...

New guitars strings are vital. I know some people wipe their strings down after use. I don't bother because I change them all the time. Cleaning guitar strings won't make them sound better, it will just make them last longer. If you've got important recordings to do put new strings on before hand but give yourself enough time to play them in so they stay in tune.

Electrical contact cleaner is also an essential part of equipment upkeep - something like DeoxIT Gold G5. Have a can handy and spray those jacks and pots regularly. It's amazing how much a difference dirty connections can make to your tone. Even when I buy something new, the first thing I do is clean it's jacks with cleaner - equipment sitting around in a warehouse or store tends to get oxidized and all crapped up.

412834.jpg

I also keep Dunlop 65 products handy - great stuff for complete instrument care.

251498.jpg

I've had a few scratchy guitar pots over the years, I've never used these types of cleaners because I'm afraid that it will drip out into the body of the guitar.

You shouldn't be using that much that any significant amount is going to come out. Plus your guitar has paint on it dude, which should protect it from moisture.

De-Oxit is good stuff. Personally, if a guitar pot is to the point of being scratchy, I'll just replace it. Usually, it's a sign the wiper is wearing out.

You can spray some De-Oxit on a guitar plug and then insert and remove it several times from the guitar jack to clean the jack. That way you don't have to spray anything inside the guitar cavity.

I also use it to clean my amps regularly. Spray the jacks, and pots. Also, I'll remove the tubes and spray the tube sockets, then insert and remove the tubes several times to help scrape the contacts clean.

53Crëw;8721846 said:
You can spray some De-Oxit on a guitar plug and then insert and remove it several times from the guitar jack to clean the jack. That way you don't have to spray anything inside the guitar cavity.

Totally

i clean all my guitars bodies with antiseptic wood wax, never had any problems with loosing the paint and they smell lovely, they dont dry out or get too moist either

i clean the guitars electronics with WD40, a can of compressed air & Flux from soldering