Desperately seeking solid drum samples for hyper blasting/death metal

PolicyOfTruth82

New Metal Member
Jun 22, 2007
No programs I've come across offer realistic sounding blast loops that can be altered to liking in terms of tempo and quality.

Need quality cymbal builds, cymbal blasts, etc. etc.

I've been using the same kit (with some changeups between piccolo and vinnie paul type snare samples throughout the last 3 years.. all cymbals and toms recorded from a real kit and stretched to necessary tempos)- www.myspace.com/SleepTerror

I'm not happy with the processed sound of the cymbals, and I'm looking for a more punchy and 'acoustic' type of snare (preferably blast loops of the same snare itself of course).

I did a search on most of the samples posted here, and while they're all decent.. none of 'em match up to what I'm needing integrally. Not sure if this makes sense. Arghhhhhh.

First off, let me say I'm a huge fan of your stuff. Brilliant, really.

Okay, now.. I'm a bit confused as to what you're looking for. Do you want loops, or are you already programming all your drums via MIDI by hand (cymbals and all)?

Either way, I suggest looking into DFHS and digging in to some intense programming. I'm not sure how well it'll do hyper-type blasting but I'm sure with a little ingenuity you'd be able to pull something off quite convincingly.

This also gives you all the options that mic'ing a real kit would give you in terms of room ambience, mics, bleed (or lack there-of, a god send!).

With proper processing, you can get DFHS sounding pretty killer.

Hope it helps...

The problem with most drum machines is especially quieter fast snare rolls (such as blastbeats). For a blastbeat to sound realistic, you need to program it a good bit lower velocity than normal hits, but the lower velocity samples in drum machines were recorded with single strokes in mind. That makes blastbeats sound very strange, because the hits aren't as intense as real fast snare rolls would be.

I wish there would be an "extreme" drum machine, which is more aimed at pure metal, instead of rock/jack-of-all-trades/funk, like all drum programs currently are. Even DFH falls a little short because it's more aimed at the "slower" style that Tomas Haake plays, not all out blastbeats and extreme drumrolls (Nile, Rotten Sound, black metal in general, and stuff like that).

Sleep Terror? I absolutely love you guys :kickass:

To me it sounds like you want something to both sound natural, but triggered as well. I think if you are not going to be recording a live drummer, the best thing would be to use something such as DKHS and program the sound to what you can envision it sounding on an acoustic kit. Get the core acoustic sound to where you feel it gives you the natural characteristic you are looking for. For it to sound real, you'll need to play with different velocities. This will make the cymbals from DKHS sound MUCH more realistic.

Once, you have it sounding good acoustic, I would then bring in the sample replacement. This way you can mess with blend and find a balance between the triggered hits and the acoustic kit. If you sequence out the song, this is a piece of cake with Drumagog (has midi input) although Aptrigga is also good. Depending on what you'd want, I'd probably replace the kick 100%, the snare about 50%, probably the same on toms.

I agree as well with Drumkit From Hell Superior. With some patience and tweaking, you can get it to sound anyway you want. I also second getting a good acoustic, untriggered sound from it first, then replacing what you need. There are tons of kick samples on the forums, as well as snare samples (Slate drums are very good.)

Also, good to have ya on the forum, hope this will help you get back into laying down some awesome songs.

Hey, thanks for the tips and welcoming guys.

Yes I guess you could say I'm looking for a cross between acoustic and natural meeting in the middle with that triggered sound. I thought the Faceless did a good job at that with their last record, wasn't too processed sounding but definitely had a synthetic feel.

I agree too that the DKFH in general is much more friendly and practical for slower types of drumming (Haake and the like) rather than extremely fast death/grind music with faster rolls and blast beats. How much is this DFHS and can I download it somewhere?

One thing that sucks is I'm very impatient and hurting right now when it comes to programming. I've been doing it for 5+ years now and its no mystery what a backache it can deliver. I really want to focus on just guitar/writing but finding replacement drummers is equally excruciating.

I just want to get the easiest set up going and get to work fast, if that makes sense, heh.

Drumkit From Hell Superior runs in the $240ish I think (I bought mine in '04 and I can't really remember how much I paid for it, but I do remember buying it from SamAsh). As far as downloading, its a mighty 35Gigs, though it also includes percussion and the stripped down cocktail kit. Either way, its a very, very, very good investment. Plus, since you've had 5 years in programming drums, you already have an idea of what a drummer should do in the parts your writing, so I guess the only other part is what DAW your using, and if your familiar with its MIDI functions and mapping.

Very unfamiliar with MIDI in every way. I'm a pretty devolved musician unfortunately (simplistic, in other words).

I really wish I could just preprogram kicks alone and overdub cymbals/toms/snare with a V-Drum or miked kit. That of course just comes down to borrowing shit or setting up studio time for a timely endeavor.

If you want simpel: Ezdrummer + DFH addon(both sold at most shops) + cubase is the most simpel set up there is.

Ezdrummer has an build in library with TONS of blast beat setups. It has a video wich shows how everything works but basicly its just click and drag and thats it.

Unfortunaly i only have a hardrocky sample for you with my setup. But trust me it does the grind blast perfectly.

http://media.putfile.com/BT-01-69

I did nothing to the drums yet in terms of editing.

Edit: Because i fucking love your guitar playing so much i made a quickass recorded sample, Do note that this the VERY basic of sounds it has.

http://media.putfile.com/bored-much

Inquisitor, I opened both links twice and it keeps shutting down my browser saying ''end'' etc. in a gray box. Tried it both on Mozilla and IE. Hm....