What Sample Players / Soft Synths are you using to trigger your drum samples?

LoudNoises

Jan 31, 2010
Hey

I have been working on a project this week and the drummers performance isn't that great and I'm gonna have to approach triggering his snare in a different way.

Usually I use aptrigger for my triggering duties if i'm using multi samples, or tab to transient in pro tools if I'm just using a single sample to augment under multi mics of an acoustic kit. But for this I think making a MIDI file of the snare track and then using a sampler to trigger a lot of multi samples is going to work much better as he played a lot of ghost hits. That way I can capture the velocities of all the hits and retrigger the samples more accurately.

Could anyone suggest any good soft samplers for this kind of work?
I don't really need anything that comes bundled with a sample library as I make my own samples of the kit in every session I track just in case.
But any bundles are always a bonus I guess.
The only thing I do need is that the sampler can trigger multi samples and is velocity sensitive. I'm running Pro Tools on a Intel Mac.

Thanks
ow

Yeah I'm gonna invest in NI Komplete so that will have Kontakt in
but gotta shelve that til next month just splashed out on a new Mac Pro this week and on all my upgrades from Pro Tools 7 to 8
so looking for a cheaper alternative to get me through the month
til I can go out and buy komplete

Yeah I have have heard of Trigger,
who makes that's so I can check their page out?
is it a sample player or is it another audio to trigger plug in
like and aptrigger and drumagog?

I'm looking for a sampler player to trigger multi samples from a MIDI file
So I don't need any audio triggering features

and yeah I'm with these guys I'm not a fan of Drumagog sorry

thanks

Trigger is definitely your way to go if you have a lot of ghost notes in your snare track. apTrigga is also great but not as accurate but it is do-able if you tweak the settings. apTrigga is a lot cheaper though

Damn, am I really that wrong with drumagog? I'm using this for years, and didn't even think about needing something else. Sorry for my bad suggestion. :oops:What are the benefits of aptrigger over drumagog? Does it read gog files as well?

i think lm-4 is a very simple solution to just trigger from midi notes.
aptrigga, drumagog and trigger can do much more than you want i think.

Damn, am I really that wrong with drumagog? I'm using this for years, and didn't even think about needing something else.
you answered it for yourself...;-)

hehe metal sound! funny to meet you here. I mixed your recordings from nuclear nature some time ago! ;)

(schon blöd hier englisch zu sprechen, wenn man es auch auf deutsch sagen könnte, aber so wissen wenigstens alle bescheid :D)

Yeah I understand how all the audio to trigger plugs work and am quite happy with how aptrigger performs
for most stuff I use triggers on it works fine, its just with this drummers performance, i have had to make a MIDI file
of his snare track with drum tracker so just looking for a decent sampler I can load my multi samples up to
I would just use aptrigger (because I believe in Pro Tools 8 they have ironed out the trigger from MIDI issue it had in Pro Tools 7 being none existant) but I'm gonna need a lot more than 9 samples and I haven't got any kind of samplers or anything
as up until now I have always worked purley with audio and aptrigger for my triggering

years and years ago I used to go down the audio to midi route but that was when I was running a digital performer system
on a G4 so I have sorta lost touch with soft samplers and that approach to triggering

yeah sawdust if drumagog works for you then there is no need to change
one approach may work for one person but not another,

hehe metal sound! funny to meet you here. I mixed your recordings from nuclear nature some time ago! ;)

(schon blöd hier englisch zu sprechen, wenn man es auch auf deutsch sagen könnte, aber so wissen wenigstens alle bescheid :D)

haha, die welt ist klein. :lol:

welcome to the show. :err:

Usually I use aptrigger for my triggering duties if i'm using multi samples, or tab to transient in pro tools if I'm just using a single sample to augment under multi mics of an acoustic kit. But for this I think making a MIDI file of the snare track and then using a sampler to trigger a lot of multi samples is going to work much better as he played a lot of ghost hits. That way I can capture the velocities of all the hits and retrigger the samples more accurately.

Aptrigga can also be triggerd with midi notes, if that answers your question.