Clearing Up a Dense Mix

CameronS

New Metal Member
Aug 3, 2012
Hey guys, so i'm having a hard time clearing up a mix and getting it to breathe without losing too much power. My best guess is that either the instruments are occupying too wide of frequency range, or that its just low mid build-up.
The problem is that when I try to give each instrument it's own space, they sound too disconnected, and less cohesive. Any thoughts?

Heres the mix:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/p34oy5x4vpcv0bk/The Repeater.mp3

Based on my ears at least, I'd turn the vocals down a tad, and there seems to be a flat but very loud mid section on the guitars that just sounds like fuzzy distortion without any definition around the 800k range maybe? I might be talking out my ass, but that's what leaps out at me.

Guitars sound awful, imho. Very fizzy and very overpowering. I think the vast majority of the problem is there. I'd go through and remove fizz in the high end before touching anything else.

When trying too clean up in a mix, I always mix in the whole mix. Like, go to an instrument, solo it, find something you think it doesn't need, unsolo, carefully listen while you lower that band and ask yourself - How much of this frequency can I take away without it affecting the mix in it's whole in a negative way? It may not be much, but 1 Db here and 1Db there later add upp and results in a slightly more defined and clean mix.

Oh, and as far your mix, the guitars do sound pretty fizzy and overpowering, I would suggest taking a look at.. Well, everything over 800 Hz, prettu much. Tame the hell ouf ot those fizz spikes.