Clearly Dave Mustaine Needs To Come To ProgPower

I know someone else mentioned Testament in this thread (a different tour) and to be honest, I would rather see Testament than either Anthrax or Mega-Dave. Chuck Billy is easily the best singer of all the big thrash bands out there. I hope we can see another big tour like this one day, but with Testament on board as well.

Bryant

yep Testament blew Megadeth out of the water earlier this year when they toured together along with Exodus who also was better than Megadeth :devil:

Wow, I am surprised that so many people disagree with me. I have seen Slayer 4 times but only since 2001, and this last time I saw them in August with MegaDave and Testament and I just thought wow this kinda boring compared to Megadeth just 45 mins ago and nowhere close to Testament, who had the best show of the night imo.

As far as performances at PP that I have seen that top a Slayer show: Evergrey PP VII, Symphorce PP VI, Amorphis PP IX, Pagans Mind X, Circus Maximus PP X, Seventh Wonder PP XI, and I could go on but this is also IMO.

Maybe what it is for you is that they were playing Seasons in the Abyss, which outside of War Ensemble isn't really their best work. They still killed it at least on the first leg here in Chicago. I'd have to disagree with some of those topping Slayer. I can't say all because I've only been to X and XI. Personally, I was underwhelmed by Amorphis' performance and I'm a huge fan. Pagans Mind was fantastic at X though. Circus Maximus yet again, I have never understood the appeal.

Being a "seasoned" metal-head myself, I saw many thrash bands back in their prime including Slayer. Slayer was among then top of the heap for certain.....

Bryant

I agree with this statement. I have seen them ~20 times since the original "Reign In Blood" tour. Fantastic live band.

Ian,

I have seen all of the PP performances that you mentioned were better than a Slayer show. I would have to respectfully disagree with you on all of them.

Anthrax was so good...I've seen Testament twice and I thought Anthrax was better than both of those shows. Plus their setlist was killer...AIR, I Am the Law, Metal Thrashing Mad, Antisocial, Caught in a Mosh....nonstop fun!

Anthrax was so good...I've seen Testament twice and I thought Anthrax was better than both of those shows. Plus their setlist was killer...AIR, I Am the Law, Metal Thrashing Mad, Antisocial, Caught in a Mosh....nonstop fun!

Anthrax is just a band I've never understood the appeal of. None of their material has ever grabbed me and to these ears, their songs all sound the same. The only thing I do admire is Charlie who I find to be a great drummer, but I have no interest in any band where the only good part is the drummer.

Anthrax is just a band I've never understood the appeal of. None of their material has ever grabbed me and to these ears, their songs all sound the same. The only thing I do admire is Charlie who I find to be a great drummer, but I have no interest in any band where the only good part is the drummer.

What gets me off when listening to Anthrax is the guitar tone and riffs. The Hardcore vibe of the band is nice, too.

Quite frankly, I've always thought that Slayer is highly overrated in the studio. With that said, I haven't ever watched any live footage of them, due to their lack of appeal to me. Is there a live DVD that Slayer has put out that captures some of this live energy everyone is speaking of?

~Brian~

Dave Mustaine said the following in an interview: "The best live show that I've ever seen is Slayer. Their energy is just over the top. We try to play our best. But, as far as the energy and stuff, I've never seen anybody do what Kerry and Slayer can do."

This sums up last night's concert in ATL for me.I went to see Anthrax and Megadeth mainly but Seasons is my fave by Slayer so I was excited to see them to.Joey can still hit the high notes,Anthrax was great just didn't play long enough.Dave's voice was HORRIBLE for the entire Rust In Peace set.Once they started playing songs from past that album it was hit and miss.But Slayer............my god I can't even explain what I experienced with that performance.The only time I have ever been that blown away by a band and was at a loss for words was Pantera at Ozzfest in ATL.
Kudos to Slayer and Anthrax for making it worth the trip!!!!!

Slayer >>> Sabaton and it's not even close...Sabaton was great live but this is Slayer we are talking about

Saying "but this is slayer we are talking about" is in no way a compelling argument. Joakim Brodén energy on the stage can rival that of any.

The only thing that really stands out in their live performances for me would be the blood falling on them when they play "Raining Blood" ...but for that id rather just see GWAR.

Joakim Brodén energy on the stage can rival that of any.

Joakim Broden has a lot of energy but you make it sound like he's the best frontman in metal nowadays. And he's not.

Yonfon said:
The only thing that really stands out in their live performances for me would be the blood falling on them when they play "Raining Blood" ...but for that id rather just see GWAR.

Come on, you get about as much comedic value from a Slayer show nowadays! :lol: On a serious note, really, Gwar over Slayer? I mean, I'm over Slayer but Gwar is just about as bad as Powerglove.

Slayer >>> Sabaton and it's not even close...Sabaton was great live but this is Slayer we are talking about

Slayer is with out a doubt, hands down, the worst show I have ever seen in my life. Just awful. I mean I have seen garage bands better. It was so bad that it sounded like the members were not even playing the same song. Just painful.

Slayer is with out a doubt, hands down, the worst show I have ever seen in my life. Just awful. I mean I have seen garage bands better. It was so bad that it sounded like the members were not even playing the same song. Just painful.

rolls eyes.....sorry go back to your light weight metal bands then...some of us like our metal on the heavier side :devil: