Cleveland 4/8/2002

747 Stranger

In a word... wow!

This was only my third time seeing Saxon live, but it had to be their best performance of the three. A small, but lively crowd huddled inside Peabody's Downunder on a cold, rainy night in Cleveland, Ohio.

Saxon came out on stage later than nearly everyone anticipated, but like most things... good things come to those who wait!

Fans seemingly from several states were at the show. I spoke with a young couple from upstate New York and a man from Kentucky, who drove 500 miles to see the show.

I managed to jot down their set list. It went as follows:

Killing Ground
Dallas 1pm
Court of the Crimson King
Backs to the Wall
Strong Arm of the Law
The Eagle has Landed (Biff mentioned viewing the Space Shuttle launch)
Coming Home
Motorcycle Man
Broken Heroes (dedicated to those lost on 9/11/2001)
Dragon's Lair
747 (Strangers in the Night) -- by audience demand!
Conquistador (medley)
-- Fritz Randow drum solo
-- Heavy Metal Thunder
-- Conquistador (reprise)
Crusader

*ENCORE*
Never Surrender
Solid Ball of Rock
Denim and Leather

*SECOND ENCORE*
Wheels of Steel
Princess of the Night

Best metal show I've seen in years. Saxon never fails to put on an extremely energetic and proficient liver performace when they visit Cleveland. I'm sure the same is true all over the world. I only wish Saxon would get the promotion they truly deserve!

Regards,
747 Stranger
Cleveland, Ohio

Hey there,

I'm half of "the young couple from upstate NY" . I'm glad you enjoyed the show too - I know we really did. I really liked their newer stuff. I should pick up that album sometime. I wasn't very pleased when I found out that they didn't start until 11. We had to leave a bit early because we knew the drive back was going to be terrible.

That was my first time seeing Breaker. What a great band. I really liked seeing them as well.