Climate change and related issues

Defiance

I vårens ljusa kvällar
Hi all!

Since some people that post here don't post at Borknagar's forum, I thought it was mandatory to make this thread here.

I'm also interested on Mr V's insights/opinions.

Hi all!

This thread is to discuss issues such as climate change, Japanese killing dolphins, etc. Politics is a more-than-welcome topic too :) .

Anyhow, I'm very happy that Arias is fucking out of the presidency. Hopefully the new government will be more friendly to the environment.

I just saw this excellent documentary called The Cove, if you have a chance, please watch it.

And this is me and my sister protesting against a mining project here in Costa Rica (i.e. the land that hates nature):

4605496672_0671757268.jpg

^ Perhaps if you google Crucitas you might find something ;) .

Here's a nice pic:

crucitas+mecho.jpg

Thank you BP!

NASAOilLatest.jpg

It's a horrible catastrophe, the "leak" may continue till Augustus.

By the by Allfader, do you know anything of the "Pascua Lama" project? It is incredibly destructive.

pascua-lama.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I do know the Pascua Lama shit and it really sucks. No one in Pascua (Huasco) wants it. I don't get why Lagos is making conferences about global warming and nature stuff when he approved this project, as well as the selling of land to foreign companies to explote it with unknown intentions.

About general clime talking, current seasons are really weird and they suck. Here is autumn but I can barely say it. It looks like spring and just one/two days are clouded. At winter the rain falls just a couple of times, but sometimes at spring or summer it happens (sometimes more often than winter itself)

I do know the Pascua Lama shit and it really sucks. No one in Pascua (Huasco) wants it. I don't get why Lagos is making conferences about global warming and nature stuff when he approved this project, as well as the selling of land to foreign companies to explote it with unknown intentions.

About general clime talking, current seasons are really weird and they suck. Here is autumn but I can barely say it. It looks like spring and just one/two days are clouded. At winter the rain falls just a couple of times, but sometimes at spring or summer it happens (sometimes more often than winter itself)

Can't you do anything to stop it? In here lot's of people present "motions" towards projects, hence one (of the many) reasons why it takes years to do anything in CR. I'm talking about something like "go to court and present a motion so that the project doesn't continue". If the Chilean people show their disgust towards it, will it still be carried out?

The seasons here haven't been that crazy this year, but the last one I noticed an incredible amount of rain, and there was even some hail, something pretty uncommon.

In one area here, Guanacaste, Summer was incredibly dry, with very serious droughts. Now that the rainy season is here, many parts of the province are underwater due to the amount of rain.

That's a characteristic of climate change: Some areas don't get one drop of water, whilst in others people are drowning.