Clips and pics of drum miking. Comments?

martyfireball

myspace.com/studioferox
Sep 5, 2003
belfast, UK
www.myspace.com
Hi, I managed to convince these punters to do a day of pre-production and i'd apprechiate any advice with the drums..
Mics are Red5's except snare (SM57 into a Focusrite Voicemaster pro) and overheads are T.Bone EM800, all into a Spirit folio SX. There is no EQ's on anything and only the snare has a hint of compression.
The kick will prob be fully triggered so I'm not too worried about it.

http://www.martyfireball.f2s.com/ferox/rec.htm

There's pics of the set-up in there too.

I agree with Razorjack that the snare mic could be closer in. That should help tighten it up a bit.

The toms also sound a bit loose with some overring. Not sure what you're going for tone wise, but maybe tune them up a bit higher. The intervals between the toms sound good, though.

There's a great post on tuning toms at the bottom of this page (if you have the time for such nonsense):

http://studioforums.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/1526095781/m/5671054111/p/2

I've also found that when micing toms it's best to have the drummer hold his stick on the tom like he was doing a punch (not a roll), then place the mic so that it's "looking" right in line with the stick at maybe a 45 degree angle or so about an inch off the head. This really brings out the meat and attack of the tom. Well, if the drummer's consistant, anyway. .. That's my take. YMMV.

Hi

Sorry for my ignorance, but I've heard the term "triggered" many times before, including this thread. I know what triggering is, but my question is the following?

Do metal bands who use the classic "punchy chuggy kick drum sound" always use triggers for the kick drum?? I mean, Arch Enemy? Testament? Exodus? If the answer is no... then why would you guys want to use a triggered sample? Is it because it's difficult to record that decent bass drum sound? Please, any info would me much appreciated.

To quote Mr Sneap........
"Q/ How much trigger do you add to your bass drums? If any, of course.
A/ Its usually all sample unless we're going for a more natural vibe, which with this sort of music is pretty rare.
I'd like to use more natural kick but it's impossible if you want to hear it all the time, which drummers like to nowadays.

I usually totally replace the kick and mix the snare 50 / 50, depending on the player really."