Better Left Unsaid (My band's new album) Recording Pics and clip.

Uladyne

Greg
Oct 20, 2006
Oregon Coast
* Spam Alert *

* “Massive Post is Massive” Alert *

So I joined that band I spoke of a while back (Better Left Unsaid) as a bassist, and went on a small U.S. tour with them and had a blast. Ever since our return from that tour we've been working on a new album, which I was lucky enough to contribute to in a significant way. All preproduction was done long distance over the net as I live in Oregon and they live in CA in my old hometown. I haven’t spoken much about it here until now because I haven’t been able to post anything online, and we all know how annoying it is to read about things without pics or clips to go with it! So I’ve just been waiting till I had something I could show. I’m really excited to be in a band writing music again and mainly just want to share my excitement, and perhaps get some feedback on this project I’ve devoted the last 6 months of my life to help create!

I’ll post a link to the song we posted first, so if you decide it sucks you don’t have to waste your time reading the rest of the thread, haha. It's called "Reaper of Malice" and can be heard on our myspace at myspace.com/blumusic. There’s also a couple album trailers on the page which feature sections of other songs. The longer trailer is clips from the album, the shorter one is all prepro stuff.

Ok, if you’re still on board at this point I guess I’ll start going into the nerdy stuff.

The new album is a radical change from their older style, because their previous album consisted mostly of older songs written way before they were recorded and didn’t really reflect where they were wanting to take the band. Also all but two of the members came aboard after the writing of the last album, with everyone contributing to the new material. I’m the new guy, but I was lucky to be able to bring a lot of material to the table without many objections. Everyone got involved with every aspect which was somewhat new and very cool for me.

After we finished the prepro I went to California in January for the recording of the album at Castle Ultimate Studios with Zack Ohren. Really cool dude. I didn’t want to be super annoying and get all up in his business, asking questions about everything that he was doing, so I can’t provide any info on ITB treatment or specific settings. I just tried to gather information as non-intrusively as possible, by taking pictures and asking generic questions. Here’s some nerd food:

-DAW was a PC running Nuendo (Can’t remember which version)
(See pics for outboard gear)

-Drums
Ddrum Ash kit with a Ddrum Mike Marsh 14x7 snare.
Kick: D6 + Yamaha Subkick
Snare top: Sure Beta 57
Snare Bottom: can’t tell from the shitty pic I took. Some sort of sm-81 looking thing.
Toms: E604, E904, Some Random Cad LDC on the floor tom
OHs: Neumann KM 184s
HH: AKG C451B
Ride: Can’t Remember
Room Mics: AKG 414 and an Audio Technica 4047/SV

Certain things were compressed and/or EQ’d on the way in, but I have no idea about the settings or treatment after they were in the box. All the drum sounds are real and without sample augmentation, save for couple faster beats where our drummer didn’t quite hammer the snare hard enough, so it was beefed up with samples taken from the kit. Our drummer wanted to try to go for real drums and though I was skeptical at first, being used to samples and what not, I’m glad we went the el natural route, even if the usual quantizing was applied.

-Rhythm Guitars
Dean Rusty Cooley RC7 with EMG 707s > Tube Screamer > Krank Revolution (1st version) > Vader cab with some sort of eminence speakers. The Cab was converted to a 2x12 16ohm cab by disconnecting two of the speakers. The guitarist Zack recorded before us had the same cab and apparently the sound was noticeably improved by this mod. I had never heard of it, but whatev, we liked the end result. Cab was miked with an sm57 up front, and an Audio Technica 4047/SV about ten feet back. We spent most of a day getting the tone. Some EQ and maybe some Distressor compression going in, and some additional EQ and multiband comp ITB. Not sure if there was anything else. We took DI’s but didn’t end up reamping anything. No Gates on the guitars. Manual gating was applied only when direly needed, like if there was some weird unexpected noise or something. Some imperfections and string noise (the new myspace song being a prime example) were intentionally left in to keep things feeling natural and somewhat live, and I love it. I’m sure some won’t dig it, but it sounds refreshing and tasty to me.

-Lead Guitars
Dean Rusty Cooley RC7 w/ EMG 707’s > Tube Screamer > 5150II > Marshal cab with Greenbacks, miked with a 57. Not sure what other processing went on besides some delay ITB.

-Vocals
AKG 414. Can’t remember the mic pre’s. I have pics which I’ll post, but I can’t recognize what they are because stand alone mic pre’s are so out of my price range I’ve never really looked them up, haha. Compressed and EQ on the way in, not sure what went on ITB.

-Bass
Dean Sledgehammer 5-String > Tech 21 VT Bass pedal (No DI!) > Sansamp Bass Driver, split here with a line going into the DAW, and another going out to some random (I think Peavey?) bass head driving an Ampeg 4x10, miked with an akg D112. Compressed and EQ’d going in, further EQ ITB.

-Mix. Zack mixed and edited as we went along, which seemed a bit odd to me, but it seemed to work. I would have liked to have had more mixing time though, as only one day was set aside purely for mix adjustments, which also seemed a bit odd to me. That being said, I’m personally more than happy with the overall mix, and my only issues are too small to go into and are mostly a matter of taste. It was unfortunate being so far from home during the process, as I had nothing familiar to check the mix on. Ah well. I’m still really happy with the end result. Having real instruments rather than DFHS and POD guitars is extremely refreshing.

-Mastering was done by Alan Douches at West Westside Music. His list of clients is insane. I love what he did for the mix. We purposely went for a somewhat quieter, warmer, rounder master rather than go for a harsh, overly aggressive and loud master. I think Alan was stoked that we let him do his job properly and exercise his expertise. For me the record almost has a feel that reminds me of an earlier era somehow.

That’s about it for the details that I can remember off hand or care to add at the moment. Here’s some pics:

DSC00125.jpg

Drumbs.

DSC00093.jpg

Moar Drumbs. Aquarian Snare head was swapped out for an Evans coated before we started tracking.

DSC00103.jpg

DSC00112.jpg

DSC00109.jpg

DSC00110.jpg

DSC00161.jpg

Rhythm Guitar Rig

DSC00185.jpg

Rhythm Guitar Rig with distant mic on far left

DSC00192.jpg

Most of the bass rig, haha. I didn’t get many bass pics because I was busy playing the friggin bass.

DSC00296.jpg

Tracking Vox.

Heres the link to the clip again for anyone who skipped straight to the end looking for it, haha:
http://www.myspace.com/blumusic

The album is due to be released early summer.
Hopefully you guys dig!

Dude this sounds really fucking good, and the drums sound awesome! Didn't think they were natural at first, tbh!

Only thing bugging me is there are a lot of parts your drummer should've played more kick drum patterns on, like the little flam hits he does just sound awkward.

How much was that AT4047 used in the gtr mix? Wasn't too loose/distant?

Also, the pres/eqs in those pictures that look like they'd be used the most are Tridents, FWIW. S40 channel strip under the right monitor, S20 stereo tube pre under the DBX pre.

Thanks man! I hear you on the drum tones. I remember tripping out the first day tracking drums, because our drummer would fuck around in the live room and in the control room all the drums sounded almost like samples until he'd put his sticks down on a drum.

As far as the drumming goes I'm not quite sure if you're referring to things that were programmed in the prepro that he followed on the kit or if it's things he threw in. They've often told me I tend to program some weird stuff, so it might be my fault, haha.

I'm not sure how much of the at4047 ended up in the final mix, as Zack was constantly adjusting things as we went along and I was more focused on performance stuff and let him fly the plane. For all I know it may not even be in the final, haha. I remember when we were initially getting tones though, that it seemed tucked pretty far beneath the 57. He put it up not really expecting much from it, but it seemed to add a nice character.

As far as the drumming goes I'm not quite sure if you're referring to things that were programmed in the prepro that he followed on the kit or if it's things he threw in. They've often told me I tend to program some weird stuff, so it might be my fault, haha.

Naw it's like in the first bit where the vocals come in, he does that thrash but leaves out a kick hit before the 16th note kicks on the downbeat, and it creates this really really weird feeling of a pause before the downbeat that really throws my internal body clock off.

Also, the pres/eqs in those pictures that look like they'd be used the most are Tridents, FWIW. S40 channel strip under the right monitor, S20 stereo tube pre under the DBX pre.

I'm sure the True Systems P8 gets used in there. I wouldn't buy 8 channels of a preamp to not use it.

Naw it's like in the first bit where the vocals come in, he does that thrash but leaves out a kick hit before the 16th note kicks on the downbeat, and it creates this really really weird feeling of a pause before the downbeat that really throws my internal body clock off.

Oh yea thats my bad. I put that in the prepro purposely, haha.

Sounds good, much props to your drummer, its very hard to pull off an all-natural kit. Especially on those kicks, he's REALLY consistent volume-wise (even if there is a ton of compression going on).

Any chance of a non-Myspace-murdered sample?

That's a sick beat!

PS broski I had no clue your band was near Castle Ultimate, or that you lived in Oregon - where in OR did you move? Bend has a huge piece of my heart forever and ever hahaha.

I'm in Depoe Bay which is central coast. Sucks here. Nothing to do unless you surf, which I don't. I want to move back to CA, but I'm too broke, haha. I've heard nothing but good things about Bend, but I've never been there. One of my favorite breweries is there, though (Deschutes).

Any chance of a non-Myspace-murdered sample?

I uploaded it to Reverbnation.com. They seem to have a better player.

http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/2450121

I'm in Depoe Bay which is central coast. Sucks here. Nothing to do unless you surf, which I don't. I want to move back to CA, but I'm too broke, haha. I've heard nothing but good things about Bend, but I've never been there. One of my favorite breweries is there, though (Deschutes).

Ah yeah man, I had dinner at Deschutes last month when I was up there... such a pain in the ass to get seats, but totally worth it!

Hmm... after hearing it on the high res player, I'm not so sure.

The opening blast has this weird rattle to the snare, like the snares from the bottom mic are just moving a shit ton. Kick sticks out a lot - the vocals, guitars, cymbals, and bass all sound awesome and are mixed really well, but the kick/snare are way up front and have some strange qualities to them. They grow on my as the mix goes on, but they're still way loud and I have a feeling will stick out more once I reference other material.

Ah one of my mix nit-picks, right there! The snare I love, as I love loud snares, and the tone we got, but I would have preferred to have the kick a bit lower. But then I'd be at odds with my drummer, haha!

Sounds great! Thanks for posting. Getting an EMG 707 today :)..and a tubescreamer, too. Already got the Krank :p. Do you still know your Settings etc?

Regards.