COB Interviews

I made a super quick translation of the interview, sorry about possible spelling mistakes. Nothing new really anyway. :)

Juha: I have thought that you are as accident-prone as the football player Jari Litmanen, but now you are actually in one piece?
Alexi: Yeah, now I'm ok. Haven't hurt myself in a while, I'm trying to shape up and be a better person.
Juha: How about your cars, we all know that you have the Blues mobile. Are there any new projects?
Alexi: In Finland my latest purchase is a -87 Chevy Montecarlo, I'm waiting to get it out from the workshop. And in LA I have a -57 Plymouth Belvedere, the killer car from the movie Christine.
Juha: And the loud V8 motors of course? So you don't have to listen to music in the car?
Alexi: Hell yeah.
Juha: There was a lot of talking in the social media about you appearing in Facebook, a few weeks ago. Did you know?
Alexi: There have been a few Alexi Laihos there every other month, but I can tell you that I haven't appeared there and never will. Ever. End of fucking story.
Juha: Many rockers, for example Slash, are active in Twitter. Is Bodom active in there or are you keeping away from social media?
Alexi: I think the other guys write stuff there and I'll leave it to them. They can do that while I write music. But I haven't gotten excited about social media, I prefer socializing face to face.
Juha: It's funny when, for example in a restaurant, everyone is just looking down on their phones.
Alexi: Yeah, four people sit together and stare at their phones... I don't know..

Juha: You have been doing music for about 20 years, how was it like to make the first records?
Alexi: It was excited to get to a real studio, and play without being kicked out right away. It was great to hear your music recorded, because you couldn't make a record in you living room at the time. We spent 20-hour-days in the studio and everyone was excited. I still spend a lot of time in the studio, also when the others are recording, because I want to make sure everything comes out ok. But we are still having fun, it's not just work.
Juha: When you write music, do you write the album as a whole or do you process one song at a time?
Alexi: The whole album, we have everything written before we go to studio. Only the lyrics are done partly in the studio.
Juha: You have been rated high as a guitar player. I don't want to sound rude, but what is special about your signature models? What is the process like?
Alexi: We start from the scratch, we can design everything however we like. The first models were done just for me and they came for sale later. After that came a few more.
Juha: Did ESP reject some of your designs or requests?
Alexi: Only thing was in the US market, they were afraid of a law-suit because my model was too close to Randy Rhoads model. So we argued about it for a few months, because I didn't want to do it, but we had to.
Juha: It isn't nice to get lawyers knocking on your door. There has been also some clothing related stuff going on, Wildchild Industries and also Kylla Custom Rock Wear. What's this about?
Alexi: She's a friend who does custom clothes for bands. She made some pants for me so I did a couple of promo shots for her.
Juha: Are you gonna go Dressman at some point? And make videos with slow motion walking?
Alexi: Maybe when we grow up, we'll get Batistini suits.
Juha: Halo of Blood is released on June, on the same day you will perform in Espoo. When was the last time you performed there?
Alexi: Well that was probably almost 20 years ago, maybe in -95 or -96 at some youth center.
Juha: And after that also a few other festivals. Now the last question, if you had to draw a line on a paper that represents the career of CoB, would it be just going up or would it be ups and downs?
Alexi: I think there would be ups and downs but it would end up higher.

Thanks for the translation, very appreciated. I don't get the part about Wildchild clothing. I thought it was some line Alexi and Henkka helped with, I don't see how that could go legally wrong. Anyhow, not album related, and that's the only thing I really care about right now, can't wait for april 26th :D

I don't get the part about Wildchild clothing. I thought it was some line Alexi and Henkka helped with, I don't see how that could go legally wrong.

The comment about lawyers knocking on the door refers to this part of the interview:

"Juha: Did ESP reject some of your designs or requests?
Alexi: Only thing was in the US market, they were afraid of a law-suit because my model was too close to Randy Rhoads model. So we argued about it for a few months, because I didn't want to do it, but we had to.
Juha: It isn't nice to get lawyers knocking on your door.

Wildchild Industries is, indeed, Alexi and Henkka's joint venture :)

Alexi looks incredibly pale next to Henkka. He always has been pale, but it's a pretty strong contrast here.

Also I hope in the next part there are more questions for Henkka as I always hate it when the questions are mostly towards Alexi and other people are just sitting there, staring at nothing.

Bodom is headlining new Soundi mag. Gotta go read it in a store unless someone scans it up here. They have a typo in the article Veren kehrä Bodom-järven yllä. I hope there's something interesting and not just lame stuff like "I've heard the album but I will only describe it with goofy expressions just to further torture the fans, cos I don't really understand or care about COB."

Bodom is headlining new Soundi mag. Gotta go read it in a store unless someone scans it up here. They have a typo in the article Veren kehrä Bodom-järven yllä. I hope there's something interesting and not just lame stuff like "I've heard the album but I will only describe it with goofy expressions just to further torture the fans, cos I don't really understand or care about COB."

It was mostly about Alexi, his current cars, LA vs Finland, touring vs home and so on. There were small sections about recording and song writing processes, how wanting to write a song for died friend affected rest of the writing process as well.

Just bought the new Soundi magazine, pretty cool interview with Alexi. I don't have a scanner but I can write a translation here in a bit. :)