COB Interviews

Well, from the clip I think the guitar tone looks really promising, away from the too crispy for my taste that Blooddrunk had, more fitting to their style, and vocals look pretty great too, as well as keys and drum tone (another letdown in Blooddrunk for me, I love the songs but the drum and guitar tone is not good imo), so I think we're going to get a great thing.

What clip ? :err:

Blooddrunk had some good ideas, but the guitar tone on the lower strings was some god awful janky rubbly dusty shit.

Solos and other parts on higher strings weren't so bad, but god damn....

Musically Blooddrunk is not the worst thing a band can do.
Dark Tranquillity (one of my other favourites) has fucking great albums, and they seem to keep chugging along making awesomeness innovating a bit here and there. But in the middle of all that infinite coolness is an album called Haven.... which is by my opinion, well, shit.

Glad to hear all that in the interview, I wouldn't WANT rehash of the old days anyway. Hatebreeder part 2 would be forced and wouldn't make sense but bringing in some flavor of the old stuff like increased melodies, more dark and atmospheric keys (plus them having a larger role), ridiculously insane solos, more complexly composed songs added to their current sound would be fucking great. Honestly I think when any band tries to just re-do their old days it comes off as shitty but taking a page from that book is never a bad idea because you always have part of that album or material you wrote with you.

anyway fuck i can't wait for this album, the song titles are going to be stupid as shit, the lyrics will be garbage, the title of the album will probably sound immature but the music and performances i have a feeling are going to bring me back to the first time I heard hate crew deathroll when I was 12! I say hcdr because even though I heard hatebreeder first and always liked that the most i doubt it will have anywhere near the same impact considering that was a totally new genre and style and everything for me whereas hate crew deathroll was just hearing the band I fucking loved but cranked up to 11 on the aggression scale and ridiculously furious yet still keeping their style. it's going to be hard to put this album out of my mind especially after hearing that sample, i'll just listen to hcdr over and over and over again haha!

Really interesting interview with lots of very good questions.

Also; way to look interested there Alexi :lol:

Thanks for posting!

Another interview
EF caught up with Alexi Laiho of Finnish metal band Children Of Bodom to ask them a few questions on the new album as well as Alexi's previous injuries. We also talked to him about his influences which might surprise you given his metal guitar god status. Check out the interview below.

You've got a new album coming out 'Relentless, Reckless Forever' What can we expect from it ?

The thing is whenever someone asks me how is the album. You really have to pause and say its gonna be heaving, more well played, more well produced. Everybody says the same shit. There's really nothing I can tell you about the album. You gotta hear it!

Matt Hyde produced your album. What was that like working with him ?

Well that actually was a really good idea to work with him. We met up with 10 different producers and he was the guy. He was really the dude, so enthusiastic about everything. He was awake (and I'm not kidding dude) like 24/7 and I could call him up at like 5am in the morning and say I'm ready to do the vocals now and he would be right there. He was really cool plus as far as the whole production. We recorded demos, he flew into Helsinki and hung out with us for a week just to get the vibe and it was cool. It was a good decision to hook up with him.

Is it true that a tornado came through and cut the electricity to your studio ?

It is true. I don't even know how you know about that. We were just recording something and as far as I know there's never been tornados in Finland like ever.And it did happen. I think the tornado cut down the power in the whole town. Everything just went black and we were done. We had no power, no electricity nothing for three days.

Did you do anything else in that three days when the power was cut ?

All we could do was light up a shitload of candles and our keyboard player Janne started playing a grand piano and I started singing so we came up with an awesome cover of Britney Spear's Womaniser which is sung in Finnish.

Is it ever going to be on the new album ?

No No. We have footage of it as we had someone filming the whole thing. It might end up on the DVD or something like that but it definitely won't be on the album. Its too horrible. Laughs

Do you have a particular track that is your favourite on the new album ?

Honestly its the first one. I don't know why. The one called Not My Funeral. Its got the best guitar solo and the best keyboard solo that ever happened. Its a catchy one dude. The whole chorus, its got that whole melodic line.

You've had a left shoulder injury back in 2007 and more recently, you broke your wrist in 2009. Are you fully recovered from those injuries now and are they affecting your playing anymore ?

No dude. Honestly. I think I'm done with that shit. I've had my share and other people's share Laughs of injuries. So I'm done with it. I try being more careful nowadays. The last one where I feel off my bunk on the tour bus. I guess it was my fault 'cause I was lying in there half arsed with one leg hanging out. And then something happened and the driver had to make a really sharp turn and I just went down. I just remember the other guys talk to me that it looked really bad, like I landed on my head. I broke a shoulder and two ribs. I never want to feel like that again ever. You have to be more careful. I'm not injuring myself as much as I used to except for today .

Just the alcohol then ?

laughs

As a guitarist, You have some really interesting guitar tunings for your records. How did these ideas come about ? Sure you influenced by anyone in particular ? Obviously Yngwie Malmsteen is a big influence on you.

Everyone that's been involved with Ozzy - Randy, Jake E Lee, Zakk Wylde and my ultimate hero is Steve Vai. Stuff he did with David Lee Roth and his solo stuff. Amazing stuff. And there's Paul Gilbert. And the funny thing is one of my favourite guitar players is Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits. He was one of the reasons why I started playing guitar. I don't know why because there's nothing metal about Dire Straits. But as a guitar playing he's f**king amazing!

You mentioned Zakk Wylde. What was it like touring with his band Black Label Society ?

It was good. I was really happy that we did that tour. End of story!

Are there any funny tour stories ?

That tour was pretty uneventful but it was still fun though from my point of view.

You did a cover album Skeletons In The Closet which had some funny covers of Creedance's' Looking Out My Back Door' and Poison's 'Talk Dirty To Me'. Are they bands you're influenced by or is it something you did for fun ?

We did a lot of 80s shit, Poison, stuff like that. But a lot of stuff we cover we got from a lot of movies like The Big Lebowski which was how we got the idea of covering Credence or Kenny Rogers song, Blues Brothers 2000. That's where we got the idea to cover the writers. We cover up some f**ked up sh*t like Britney Spears. My personal favourite is a Pat Benatar cover called Hell Is For Children. I always thought that it was a beautiful f**king song and it had that depressing vibe with the lyrics. I always felt that it would be a perfect metal song thats what we did and it turned out to be pretty good. Both keys and guitar solos were f**king incredible!

You're returning to London in April. What can we expect from your show ?

Its going to be a lot of sweating bullets and fast playing and awesome songs. We have some stuff that we're planning to do on the European tour but I can't talk about that stuff yet. Its going to be f**king awesome!

What's your favourite festival to play ?

Waccan! Always! That's the best festival in the whole f**iking world! End of Story.

Will you guys come back and do any festivals here like Sonisphere, Bloodstock or Download ?

Hopefully yeah. I don't really know. Lets hope we'll get back here for Download.

There's a story on The Gigantour 2 Tour you did with Megadeth in the US. And the lighting was mixed up with Van Halen's. Janne played the keyboard intro to Jump whilst you were throwing up backstage sick. Can you tell us more about that story ?

There's not much to tell. He started doing that sh*t. Sometimes he'll do stuff like that without me even knowing it like when I'm changing guitars for a different tuning and before I'm back he would play Jump or Rihanna's Umbrella and the drummer would start jamming with them. It gets crazy. If he's in a good mood, he'll do something crazy like and I have to play along. laughs. I think its kinda disturbing that people like the fact that we do Jump for ten seconds as opposed to playing our own songs. laughs.

Do you guys have any plans to resurrect your side project Sinergy ?

I think that's pretty much fried. Its gone. Its a sad thing but what are you gonna do about it.

Thanks very much for your time Alexi.

Thanks dude!

'Relentless Reckless Forever' will be out in March 2011. Children Of Bodom will be touring the UK in April 2011
Sounds like Not my Funeral might even compete with Kissing the Shadows in terms of awesomeness. Although that may be to much to ask

thanks kilon :)

edit:

"What's your favourite festival to play ?

Waccan! Always! That's the best festival in the whole f**iking world! End of Story."

I think they mean Wacken ;) It would be aaawesome if they would play there in 2011 *fingers crossed*! I already got my wacken tickets.

It has to be a heck of a solo to be the best they've ever did!?
Two great interviews in one day :D Thanks!

Sinergy's dead? Well, we've kind of known it for a while, it just kinda sucks to hear it so officially...RIP, Sinergy. On the other hand, the interview itself was good. :)

WACCAN?? :lol:
it would be a shame, if the the interviewer doesn't know the biggest metal festival in the world!! :D