Cocked wah/thru a vacuum cleaner tube Gtr tone??

16S

all gods fail...
Apr 14, 2007
Reading, UK
I hear so many guitar tones on this forum and on commerical releases that have a sound like the gtr is playing thru a vacuum cleaner tube. Like a bit of a fixed wah or slight dopler effect....
But that is not bad! In the mix they sound awesome. Alot of the best tones on this forum have this vacuum cleaner/cocked wah sound...

Do you know what i mean?? (may be i should post a clip...)

I struggle to get that sound. Can you give me any pointers??:erk:

Boost 700hz with a tight bandwidth?

I really have no idea what you're talking about except Marcus always goes on about cocked wah and 700hz and tubescreamers. Clips would help a lot.

i quickly picked out a couple of rate my tone threads to ref. the sound i am trying to describe in words:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/523735-rectifier-w-o-6k-clip-marcus-i-guess.html

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/521137-can-krank-rev-sound-like-6505-clips-inside.html

You can hear it best on the chugs, like its playing down a tube, sort of a metallic aftertone...?
How do you dial it in?? I hear on ampsims and Imps equally as on real amp, cab and mic...

Its just a lot of mids dude?

Kev, I don't understand. when i dial in alot of mids i always get that "honky" sort of sound (which i hate). Also when i have been trying to get closer to the tone in the above clipsi have found that reducing the mids gets me a little closer....:loco:

Kev, I don't understand. when i dial in alot of mids i always get that "honky" sort of sound (which i hate). Also when i have been trying to get closer to the tone in the above clipsi have found that reducing the mids gets me a little closer....:loco:

Could be the work of the screamer you have your ears focused on I reckon then mate. I know what you mean though. My friend described the 5150 as sounding like it always has a bit of wah on. I do also recall MAB telling me that vs software amps, tube amps have a shit ton of good sounding mid range.

Boost 700hz with a tight bandwidth?

I really have no idea what you're talking about except Marcus always goes on about cocked wah and 700hz and tubescreamers. Clips would help a lot.

Indeed I do :loco: 700Hz is definitely the frequency in question here IMO, and normally I actually narrowly cut maybe 1 dB around there because I feel the TS adds ever so slightly too much - if you're not using a TS though, that'd definitely help IMO!

its like a rich harmonic tonality to the guitar. as if a close bandwidth exciter was put to boost the clarity of the tone and crisp it up and give it a tight rich harmonic mid range

another example is slipknot's song before i forget "intro" where the tone is very mid rich and crisp.

i think its done by keeping the gain down to reduce the amps natural compression of raising bass and treble tones and giving the tone a decently high mid level - also eq'ing out the sub freq's & the extreamly high freq's to clean up the tone and reduce the amount of crap thats in the signal - less sub and high in barely audible-crap the cleaner that wave will be

thats what i think it is and how its done

yes! thanks guys. All of what you said contributes to that sound. Where do you think the tone setting on the TS should be to exploit the "hump"?
Also i guess the challenge is applying enough amp mid without it honking away like noddy's car!

AND post a clip when you get it. I see a lot of people looking for a sound and never confirming if they got it, without it we never know if everyone here is suggesting bullshit or the real deal!

^ that is a good and fair point. I was actually gonna post a clip last night but when i listened back to it i thought it was shit so didn't. I will attempt something tonight and post even if i think it sucks.
cheers

Maamar why? I hear people here getting the sound with just about every amp and amp sim available. But i understand the JSX has a particular metallicky sound...