need some help to achieve a similar guitar tone

FrenchFrog

Feb 15, 2011
Froggy France!
hi ! for a new project of mine i'd like to have a similar rhythm guitar tone as this ( there is a little gap with the guitar alone at 0:29).

i can shape decent tones i guess but i still cannot have this "grit" and that's what i'm looking for. might be a cranked preamp or simply a tube screamer? nothing i do give me such a high end. the playing and the guitar have a major impact on the tone but apart from that would you have some clues on how achieve this tone ? amp, cabinet, eq .... anything would be very appreciated!!! or maybe a few kemper profiles somewhere tha could be pretty close ?

thank you!

Last edited:
From an interview with Nick Hipa for that album:

In the studio, we tracked rhythms with a combination of a Peavey 6505 and a Diezel VH4, and we put those through a Bogner cabinet. We had a Maxon OD-808 right in front of that. For leads, we used a Soldano SLO100 and an old Traynor head for a little bit of high end. For some of the cleaner stuff, we used a Matchless 35.

If you have option, try EQ straight on DI with cut around 400-500hz. I like to go bit extreme but experiment yourself

I would do that too, except I would cut about 4 or 5db arround 220hz, where there is a lot of muddyness.
And you can also boost arround 3400hz where the pick attack is.

You can also cut after the amp, but you will have to boost another frequencies to balance the tone, so it doesn't sound too dry (cut arround 250hz but boost 120hz for example).

In your daw you can add a plugin to add a little bit of distortion, I use Waves NLS (which is a console distortion) and a tape distortion sim, like Waves Kramer Tape or J37

You can also cut after the amp, but you will have to boost another frequencies to balance the tone, so it doesn't sound too dry (cut arround 250hz but boost 120hz for example).
dafuq o_O

well, according to the interview excerpt it´s not that complex a setup. TS in front of an amp, and some fairly common cab, at least nothing special.

Without trying it out myself, I´d set the bass eq on the amp not too high, not too much mids either. Then, put the mic slightly off-center to reduce top end, or low-pass further down in frequency.

saying that you have to boost a certain frequency when you cut another, both of which are not related to each other (120 and 250? I wasn´t that bad at maths, but that seems to be off), is quite a bold statement, at the very least. If it´s not already an attempt to deliberately lead people the wrong way. It creates imbalance between notes (let´s say between B and C, just for reference).

My own guitar cab emphasizes the low C and its octave, that´s around 130Hz. So I cut that certain frequency a little, to balance all the notes. It´s perfectly fine after I have done that. What´s your point now, what do i have to boost to make it sound balanced? It already is balanced.

saying that you have to boost a certain frequency when you cut another

Okay, my bad, maybe I wasn't clear enough because I mainly didn't explain anything, I don't do that to all frenquencies, but only in the low end and high end, it's more for overhaul EQ shapping rather that getting rid of notes that pop out too much (I used to do that mostly on amp sim, not anymore now that I have a proper amp and cab) so it's with wide Q and not a narrow Q like I would do to get rid of a note that pop out too much...
And I don't equally boost what I cut... and I don't think that doing that is too stupid, because that's how the pulteq EQ works (which doesn't work very well on distorted guitar, that's why I use a regular graphic EQ).

Or I could use a parametric EQ, and then get rid of annoying frequencies that would be "surprisingly" be arround those I changed with a graphic EQ: same results.

That's not the same thing as removing hiss or notes that pops out.

Last edited: