Need help diagnosing weird sound on a POD tone.

Robert W

May 13, 2009
My POD tone suddenly developed this weird sound this morning. Didn't change and settings on anything, so I don't really know what's up with it.

I'm running this on the dual tone mode. Same for top and bottom,

Noise Gate> TS> Amp> Cab> Reverb> EQ

Not using any compression.

Here's a soundclip of that weird noise I'm talking about,

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1065508

Any help would be much appreciated.

sounds like a problem with the flux capacitor

Does it sound like that when you listen through the headphone out of the POD as well?

sounds like a problem with the flux capacitor

Does it sound like that when you listen through the headphone out of the POD as well?

Yes.

I recorded this using an old GuitarPort, but it's also doing the same thing on a new Studio UX1 I bought the other day, so I don't really know what's up.

sounds like the gate is not cuttin the signal quick enough. Turn the gate off and you should hear a similar type of static noise when using one of the higher gain amps, or any amp really.

Yes.

I recorded this using an old GuitarPort, but it's also doing the same thing on a new Studio UX1 I bought the other day, so I don't really know what's up.

Hold on second - am I reading it correctly that you are getting the same results through both the GuitarPort as well as a UX1 unit?

If that's the case it will probably end up being either something with the software portion and perhaps a uninstall/reinstall.

Is it happening in Gearbox as well as PODFarm?

Could it be the cable you are using?

If you play without any processing does the DI sound ok?

Hold on second - am I reading it correctly that you are getting the same results through both the GuitarPort as well as a UX1 unit?

If that's the case it will probably end up being either something with the software portion and perhaps a uninstall/reinstall.

Is it happening in Gearbox as well as PODFarm?

Could it be the cable you are using?

If you play without any processing does the DI sound ok?

Yes, it's happening on Gearbox as well. I've tried using POD 1.12 and POD 2.0, and am getting that same sound.

I just have one cable on me atm. I'll pick up a new one tomorrow and give that a try.

I'm hearing that sound very slightly on the unprocessed signal. Not nearly as pronounced, but it's still lurking in the background.

The sound seems to be in proportion to the amount of gain I'm using. If I'm using just an amp and a cab, the level of that weird sound drops noticeably. But, as soon as I add any gain either on the amp or w/ the addition of a TS, it comes back w/ a vengeance.

try moving further away from the computer/pod (even just turn around) and see if that works. Also change your guitar leads

Tried that, and the results sound the same if I'm standing by my laptop or standing on the other side of the room.

Anyone else noticing it's only in the right hand side that the noise is coming from? Are you sure there isn't some effect on, verb, delay, flanger or chorus or anything maybe?

do you have a CRT montor? Or did you sit next to a TV? Did you possibly plug something else into your power strip/wall socket? That's my guess. It's just excesive electronic noise your guitar is picking up. It could also be your cable. Check all your connections, and turn off all electronics around you, and see if you still get the sound.

do you have a CRT montor? Or did you sit next to a TV? Did you possibly plug something else into your power strip/wall socket? That's my guess. It's just excesive electronic noise your guitar is picking up. It could also be your cable. Check all your connections, and turn off all electronics around you, and see if you still get the sound.

I tried that, but I still kept getting that sound.

The sound rises in volume in direct proportion to amount of gain I'm using.

Also, will pick up a new cable tomorrow.

Well yeah the sound is gonna rise when you turn the gain up. . . It's noise that either your guitar or cable is picking up. It almost has to be that since you have multiple POD's making the same sound.

Well yeah the sound is gonna rise when you turn the gain up. . . It's noise that either your guitar or cable is picking up. It almost has to be that since you have multiple POD's making the same sound.

Hope it's the cable because I get that sound on both of my guitars. :D

Logical troubleshooting methodology would tell you the first thing you do is to eliminate items from the chain - by trying different hardware units that sort of rules them out, by trying different guitars you can put a check mark next to that as being ok, that leaves us with either some hardware/software conflict in your PC, or the cable, of course I just thought about it - we really have two cables to test as you are probably using the same USB cable to connect both the GuitarPort and the UX1 so it could be that cable as well or perhaps your USB port itself, have you tried a different USB port?

Just thinking.

Logical troubleshooting methodology would tell you the first thing you do is to eliminate items from the chain - by trying different hardware units that sort of rules them out, by trying different guitars you can put a check mark next to that as being ok, that leaves us with either some hardware/software conflict in your PC, or the cable, of course I just thought about it - we really have two cables to test as you are probably using the same USB cable to connect both the GuitarPort and the UX1 so it could be that cable as well or perhaps your USB port itself, have you tried a different USB port?

Just thinking.

Ok, I tried the following,

1) Tried all three USB cables I had lying around. The first one must have been broken, because I kept getting a message that it couldn't find any Line 6 devices. The next two worked fine in that they were both receiving the signal from my GuitarPort and my UX1.

2) Tried both USB ports, and got that sound out of both of them.

3) Turned off all electrical appliances. Still got the sound.

4) Started playing for a couple of minutes and that "sound" started to fade. Kept playing for a little while longer and it stopped, only to be replaced by a low hum/static sound.

Am going to pick up a new cable in an hour. Will report back on that when I do.

Also, am double checking to make sure all my drivers are up to date and that I have DL every new update from Line 6.

The one USB port not working - it's possible the Line6 devices require USB2.0 connections, the one port may have been 1.0. When I connect certain devices to my Apple keyboard (has 1.0 ports) I get a "low power" warning and the device cannot be used in that port. Other things like flash drives will work in them though...

The one USB port not working - it's possible the Line6 devices require USB2.0 connections, the one port may have been 1.0. When I connect certain devices to my Apple keyboard (has 1.0 ports) I get a "low power" warning and the device cannot be used in that port. Other things like flash drives will work in them though...

Both USB ports are working fine. It was one of the USB cables that was malfunctioning.

I'm using a PC, and have not had an issue like the one I'm having now happen to me with any Line 6 device for over the 2+ years I've been using them.

Haven't added anything program/app-wise either to my PC in a while, but a product incompatibility issue may still be something I need to look into, as I've heard some people have had probs w/ Line 6 and Vista.