Need help diagnosing weird sound on a POD tone.

i used to have a real pod that randomly one day started making this noise. i figured it was shitty electronics in my guitar, but i remember that exact noise. drove me nuts.

i used to have a real pod that randomly one day started making this noise. i figured it was shitty electronics in my guitar, but i remember that exact noise. drove me nuts.

Ok, but what did you do to fix it? Was it a software issue? An issue with the POD itself?

But he is having the issue from two separate Line 6 devices so the odds of it being the hardware are low. It's either on the PC end or the guitar/cable end. I would bring your guitar to the store with you when you go to get another cable and try it out through an amp just to make sure it's not your guitars electronics (unless you have an amp at home that is).

But he is having the issue from two separate Line 6 devices so the odds of it being the hardware are low. It's either on the PC end or the guitar/cable end. I would bring your guitar to the store with you when you go to get another cable and try it out through an amp just to make sure it's not your guitars electronics (unless you have an amp at home that is).

Wasn't able to get a new guitar cable today. Just too darn busy to make it to the nearest music store, but I'll grab a new one tomorrow.

What I have found, is that I'm only getting that sound when I have the tone rolled all the way up on the pups. When I roll back on the tone all the way, it stops. This happens with both of my guitars too.

Well it wasn't a guitar or cable issue. Tried my guitar out on a practice amp and it sounded fine. Bought a new cable and got that same annoying noise again. This pretty much means either something is wrong w/ my USB port or there is something wrong w/ the Line 6 software. :bah:

if you have a tv in your room, make sure its off lol. It use to do that for me when my pickups were too close to my tv, but when i turned it off, it was fine.

if you have a tv in your room, make sure its off lol. It use to do that for me when my pickups were too close to my tv, but when i turned it off, it was fine.

I turned off every electrical appliance in the room, and still got that sound. :err:

What I did do was take a look at Line 6's Optimizing For Windows Vista pamphlet. One bit of advice they gave in there was to turn off all the unnecessary video processing apps. Apparently Vista uses something like a 1gb of memory for fancy visual effects (being a pc n00b, I was unaware of this). So I turned off all the extraneous ones, and that sound I was getting became less audible. It's still there, but nearly so loud as it was before.

Also, I checked both USB ports using my MP3 player. They appear to be working fine, so I'm beginning to think this really is going to end up being a software related issue.

Here's a question for you tech savvy types. I know that the Line 6 GuitarPort has its own internal ASIO drivers in it, but do these drivers automatically set themselves to an optimal setting, or, do I have to go in there and set them myself?

keeping podfarm open, windows control panel -> line6 audio devices -> mess around with buffer size (don't need to click apply for it to take effect)

see what that does.

thanks,

keeping podfarm open, windows control panel -> line6 audio devices -> mess around with buffer size (don't need to click apply for it to take effect)

see what that does.

thanks,

Thanks for the advice! I'll try it out later. Right now it's too friggn' hot to breathe!

I remember this sound. It just went away one day. From my experience, try messing around with the buffer size and sample rate. It should go away.

I remember this sound. It just went away one day. From my experience, try messing around with the buffer size and sample rate. It should go away.

Tried that, didn't do a thing. :(

Wish it would just go away like yours did.

Interestingly, when I use the battery, that noise gets noticeably reduced, but is not eliminated entirely.

Well I was gonna say maybe a grounding issue but if it happens with both then...

So I'll say instrument cable maybe?

I've exhausted all those possibilities already, cables, USB ports, pickups, electrical interference, etc,.

I posted about this on the Line 6 Support Forums, but haven't got any answers from them so far.