Cold Colours interviews

coldcolours

Wuss King
Jun 28, 2006
minneapolis, mn
www.coldcolours.com
Winter Torment Zine

Dark Greetings,
here is a new interview with one band "Cold Colours" from Minnisota the band plays dark death/doom metal and has just released their Self-Titled fourth release!! if you enjoy dark death,doom metal with some brutal over-tones you should defintly check this band and his releases out soon!!
enjoy the interview and take the time to chack out their Great music!!
Patrick

Interview with Brian J.Hubner vocalist,guitarist,bassist,keyboardist for Cold Colours done by Patrick

1.Hello Brian how is your week going? Please introduce yourself to the readers.

Well, kinda broke this week! Otherwise OK. My name is Brian. I play sad metal.

2.When did you first become interested in playing music? What was the first instrument you learned how to play?What would you say was the easiest instrument for you to learn?Which one was the most difficult to learn?

My dad used to listen to a lot of early metal bands, which is what got me interested. Honestly, the first album that really got me was Bon Jovi 'slippery when wet.' May not be the coolest answer, but that was my gateway into the metal world!
I got my first guitar in 1988 for my 12th birthday. so I've been playing for 25 years now! I never really took the time to get really good, so i just started writing riffs. I started playing bass in 1994. Don't really view any as easy or difficult, but bass seems to come more naturally for me.

3.When did you get the idea to form Cold Colours?For the readers who have never had the pleasure of hearing Cold Colours how would you describe the bands music?

Cold Colours is a dark metal band. we've kinda gone all over the place over the last 15 years, but there has always been a dark mood to it. I started Cold Colours under the name Wolfthorn in 1995. At the time, I was the vocalist for a thrash/groove metal band called Inflict. I joined that band mostly because I had never been on stage, and wanted to get the live experience. So I started doing Wolfthorn on the side, as I wasn't big into the style Inflict played. I had done a project in high school with some friends called Dream Eternal, which I was really into. However, the other guys in that became disinterested in playing metal. So I decided to do my own thing.

4.Cold Colours originally started out as a full-line up band and is now just yourself with session members.What has kept you motivated to keep the band going as a one man band?

Actually, CC started as a solo project. When it was Wolfthorn, it was just me and a 4 track recorder. When I started recording the 'Somnium XIII' album in 1999, I changed the band name. It was still a solo project then, I just pictured the other guys who helped out on the album in a way that made it look like it was a full band. We didn't become an actual "band" until 2001. It went back to being mainly me in 2007. I tried to reassemble a full band numerous times but gave up in 2011.
My main motivation is unfinished business. After 15 years, I don't feel I have really created what I was wanting to with this band. The new album is the closest I have come to it, but there is still a certain 'something' I am trying to get across. After almost 20 years, I just can't stop now, especially when its my 'baby!'

5.What do you feel are the advantages and disadvantages to being a one man band?
Getting commitment from others. But still needing others, as there are things I can't do - playing drums or guitar solos for example.
The hardest part is the financial aspect. Having to cover all the costs myself. Advantage is not dealing with conflicting opinions from other band members. My other band can never agree on things and that makes it so nothing gets done.

6.Cold Colours recently released the self titled fourth CD through Sleazy Rider Rec. how long did it take you to write the songs for this release?

I wrote most of the album over the summer of 2012. 'Silent Speech" was an old song from 2005 that we had when we were a full band, it just was forgotten. I found a recording of it and thought it fit on this album. The beginning of 'Orifice' is something I wrote a long time ago.

7.When writing the new songs which came first for you the music or the lyrics? Where did you draw inspiration for your lyrics on the new cd?

I honestly don't write the lyrics until the last minute. I usually have the vocal parts written, but just babble. I really don't pay much attention to lyrics, I write about whatever I'm feeling that day. I did write the lyrics to 'of sand and tears' as a tribute to my grandfather though.

8.Do you have any plans to look for session musicians to possibly play some "live" shows in support of the new CD or do you plan to keep Cold Colours strictly a studio project now?

We are a live band as well, just a little more sporadic. We have a few shows in the coming months. Aaron Lott, who also played lead guitar on the album, plays live as well. He's the closest I have to another member. One advantage to CC being mostly just me, is I can have different people play shows if others aren't available. If we were offered a tour, I would be able to take whoever with me that was available; without having to worry about other members availability.I like playing live too much to not do it.

9.Speaking of musicians if you had the opportunity to work with any musicians {past or present} who are some you would like to work with?

Dan Swanö mastered the new CD, doing a project with him... Damn. That would be amazing. Devin Townsend is another one. David Bowie would probably be the ultimate.

10.Is Cold Colours the only band you are currently working with?If no please tell the readers a little about your other bands/projects.

I also play guitar and do vocals for a death metal/d-beat band called Mördwolf. It's like old Entombed, Dismember, Grave mixed with a d-beat punk vibe. You can download a free 5-song demo at www.mordwolf.net

11.When your not working/writing music or band business what do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

I'm still an obsessed metalhead. I love going to record stores, going to shows, talking about metal, etc. Outside of music in general, I'm just a family man. I am married with a 4 year old son, so I spend a lot of time just being a dad.

12.Well Brian we have reached the end of the interview thank you for taking the time to do the interview with me. Do you have any final comments for the readers before we end the interview?

Thanks for the interview. I hope people give the new album a listen. You can check it out on SPOTIFY to listen to it first. Cheers!

Behind the Veil Webzine

1. Hello! How are you? I think that your new album entitled “Cold Colours” has already been released. So how do you feel about it? What kind of responses have you got so far?
I am doing well. I am pretty happy with this one for sure. Reviews from the press have been mediocre, but I am honestly not expecting to blow anyone away. I’m just trying to re-establish the name. Response from other people has been great. A lot of “This is what I always imagined COLD COLOURS should sound like” comments. Which was exactly what I was going for with this release: so that’s great!

2. Before starting talking about the new album, can you please tell me if COLD COLOURS is a regular band or just studio project? Also who participates in the band?
Right now it is mainly just me. I have people who help me play live and some who helped me in the studio. I have gone through numerous lineups over the last 10 years, so I decided to do this one on my own. It’s not that I don’t want it to be a full band, I just got tired of new members joining and then quitting within a year. I really got tired of taking new band photos every few months! The live lineup currently consists of myself on bass and vocals, Aaron Lott and Chris Arnold on Guitar and Will Maravelas on the drums. David Richardson played drums on the CD, but he does not like playing live. He also played drums on the first COLD COLOURS CD in 1999. Will was the one who recorded and mixed the album and liked what he heard, so he offered to play drums. Aaron is currently writing some for CC as well for the next album.

3. How long did it take you to compose and produce the new album? Now that it is ready do you think that there is anything that you would like to change?
Of course there will always be things I would like to change about an album. But I think it serves its purpose in representing the band. A lot of the album was composed last summer and then recorded right away, which is very new for the band. Usually, songs are around for a few years before they get released. “Orifice” has been sitting around for over 10 years and “Silent Speech” was actually written in 2005 with the lineup then. I found a tape of it and thought it was a good time to finally release it.

4. You have chosen to give the name of the band as the title of your album. Usually bands do that on their debut releases or when they consider an album as a special one. So, can we say that this one is a special release for COLD COLOURS or even a new start for the band?
It definitely symbolizes a new beginning; that was the purpose. Like I mentioned, there has been a revolving cast of members in this band for a very long time. With each new lineup, the sound changes. When I recorded the first CD, it was a collection of 4 years of random demos I had made. 6 years had passed until the 2nd CD came out in 2005, and by then: the band was 5 members who all had equal say; so the sound had changed drastically. Another 6 years passed until the 3rd CD was out in 2011, and a whole new cast of people had joined. With the last 2 CD’s, I gave up a lot of creative control. 2 of the members on “The Great Depression” made a lot of adjustments in the studio to the material, and then quit the band before the CD was even released. I got tired of compromising the band over and over for 10 years for people who didn’t even stick around. So after many years of getting off track, I decided to “start over.” That’s why it is self-titled.

5. If I had to compare your new album with your previous one entitled “The Great Depression”, I think that this one is more atmospheric and less aggressive. What do you think about it? Which are the new elements that you have introduced with this album to the sound of COLD COLOURS?
Like I mentioned, the sound of the last album was very influenced by the members at the time. 2 of the songs on “The Great Depression” were actually part of a side project that never came to fruition. After realizing the album was taking a heavier direction, I decided to use them for COLD COLOURS. I don’t mind “The Great Depression,” The new CD is just much more representative of what COLD COLOURS should sound like.

6. You have also done a cover song of ROTTING CHRIST’s “Cold Colours”. Why did you choose this song?
Aside from the fact that the band is named after the song!? I guess I was just being dorky on having the song, album, and band name match! Being on a Greek label, it made sense as well. Plus I got the blessing from Sakis, who was going to guest on the recording; but timing just didn’t work out.

7. Let’s talk a bit about the lyrics. What gives you inspiration to write lyrics about? Can you tell us in a few words the story of each song that you have included in your new album?
“Disgust” is about me compromising myself for others. It is a short song because it’s a way to play a quick reprise of the tone from the last album – only to shift suddenly into the doom and gloom!
“The Process of Dying” is about my views of spirituality. Basically saying I am who I am because of me and my family. Not because of any ‘deity.’
“This Devotion” is about staying devoted to someone long past when I should. I have had many people I have written off in my life lately. Sometimes people just aren’t worth the effort.
“Suffering God” is about losing your faith, but not admitting it. Trying to carry on with what you think you believe, even if you really don’t.
“A Loss of Faith…” See “Suffering God.”
“Of Sand and Tears” was written about my grandfather who passed away 2 years ago. Basically, it’s my tribute to him.
“Silent Speech…” Well... That one doesn’t really have much meaning. Not gonna lie. I was just improvising words when it was being written!
“Cold Colours…” You’ll have to ask ROTTING CHRIST about that one!

8. Will you do any video –clip for your new album? If yes, which song would you choose to visualize? Would you like to do one with the band playing or one having a plot?
We actually have one out for “This Devotion.” It can be viewed on YouTube or on our website. It’s just performance. I’ll probably do one for “Suffering God” as well. That one will probably be more visual and less performance oriented.

9. There are so many interviews that you do and I think you pretty much have to answer to the same boring questions. So which was the weirdest or the most interesting question that you’ve been asked so far?
Actually, this is the first non-local interview I have done for this CD. I honestly can’t think of any weird ones. Feel free to send me one to add to this interview!

10. I will ask you to change a bit your role and become the interviewer. So what would you like to ask yourself about COLD COLOURS?
Why do I continue to beat a dead horse!? I actually considered changing the name of the band for this album because of the perception of the band through all the changes. But I started this band recording on a 4 track by myself when I was 19. I am now 37 years old. I have spent almost 20 years trying and I am not going to let the missteps that were caused by others and myself deter me from what I want to do.

11. What do you want people to think and do when they listen to COLD COLOURS?
I want people to think about riding a rhinoceros dressed like ‘Macho Man’ Randy Savage; and then I want them to do just that.

12. Thank you for answering my questions. I wish you all the best! Please put the epilogue you like on the interview…
Thanks for taking the time. I am really hoping more people give the new album a chance, even if they haven’t liked the band in the past. I am already preparing to record the 5th COLD COLOURS album which will hopefully be out next year. Having 6 year gaps between albums is not going to happen again!

Nick “Verkaim” Parastatidis