Collection

hey TheLedTool, you like dredg's leitmotif better than el cielo????
anyway, you're also missing:
the rest of type o negative's cds
fear factory: obsolete
dredg: el cielo (best cd i've ever gotten)
the rest of tool
dysrhythmia: no interference
maudlin of the well

Originally posted by ezekiel
hey TheLedTool, you like dredg's leitmotif better than el cielo????

I have El Cielo (and a whole lot of other new albums), so I haven't given it enough play yet. I can tell it's quite good, but hasn't hit me yet. (His vox really improved!) Leitmotif has just been one of my favorite albums for a long time, so I can vouch for it at least. ;)

Dredg?
That is a new one. I will have to look into them.

I do not really listen to Hammerfall much anymore, but they are not a bad band. Their last two albums suck without the help of Jesper writing their music and their lyrics have gotten hokey, but the earlier stuff isn't too bad if you are in the mood for some 80 type power metal.

Also, thanks for the compliment on the Jesus Christ Superstar cd. Most metalheads would frown on having it in a collection but it really is a great piece of music. Shit, it is more metal than Reroute to Remain (I know I will catch hell for that comment).

Dredg is not what I expected at all. They are one of those bands that may grow on me and they are talented, but I will to listen to them a bit before I decide.
What tracks should I listen to in order to give them a fair chance?

Originally posted by TheLedTool
I have El Cielo (and a whole lot of other new albums), so I haven't given it enough play yet. I can tell it's quite good, but hasn't hit me yet. (His vox really improved!) Leitmotif has just been one of my favorite albums for a long time, so I can vouch for it at least. ;)

that's understandable. i got el cielo first so leitmotif was slightly dissapointing but still ana amazing cd.

their best songs are:

the canyon behind her
sanzen
same ol' road
of the room
triangle
movement 1: @45°N, 180°W
yatahaze

hints:

any of Camel's first four albums
any of Morbid Angel's first four albums
any of the Death realeases you don't have

there you have a wide selection of great albums.

Originally posted by Oaklain
Dredg is not what I expected at all. They are one of those bands that may grow on me and they are talented, but I will to listen to them a bit before I decide.

Yeah, they're definitely different...

Originally posted by Oaklain
What tracks should I listen to in order to give them a fair chance?

Stuff off Leitmotif is almost minimalist in the sense - all sounds are instruments and vox. El Cielo has some extra singers, some strings arrangements, etc. on different parts, and although it's still has the same Dredg sound to it - whatever that is exactly - it's got something of a different feel.

I usually recommend "Symbol Song" and "Lechium" as introductory songs to Dredg. If you want to cheat a bit, you could listen to "Movement II: Crosswind Minuet" which a great, short instrumental track.

As I've said, I don't know El Cielo well enough, so you should probably follow ezekiel's advice on those (the first 5 songs he lists). :)

Originally posted by ezekiel
that's understandable. i got el cielo first so leitmotif was slightly dissapointing but still ana amazing cd.

They made quite an evolution. I'm not surprised; I expect a band of that talent (not to mention their general attitude towards music and art) to do something as such. Leitmotif is one of the purest albums I know. Although it's quite different from El Cielo, you'll probably enjoy it more over time (as I'll enjoy El Cielo more over time...).

Albums I regard as classics and essential listening (just one from each band, for now):

Anathema- The Silent Enigma
Arcturus- Le Masquerade Infernal
Borknager- The Olden Domain
Bolt Thrower- Realm Of Chaos
Carcass- Heartwork
Cannibal Corpse- The Bleeding
In The Woods...- Omnio
Deicide- Once Upon The Cross
Diabolical Masquerade- Nightwork
Edge of Sanity- Crimson
Hypocrisy- Destroys Waken
Katatonia- Brave Murder Day
Mayhem- Mayhem De misteriis dom sathanas
My Dying Bride- Turn Loose The Swans
Obituary- Cause of Death
Pan~Thy~Monium- Dawn of Dreams
Paradise Lost- Gothic
Thergothon- Stream from the Heavens
Ulver- Themes from William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and hell

the one problem i have with leitmotif is that it's too short. the secret song which is of bad production and the silence before it takes up like 20 minutes of the cd. and the songs are so freaken good, but they stop them too soon. especially m3: lyndon andm5: 90 hour sleep. if these (and other) songs were longer i think id like it more. or maybe im just greedy.