Comedy

Winmar

Pillock of society
Apr 16, 2001
Canberra
Let's talk about comedy, be it tv, film, stand up or whatever. What are your favourites?

Mine include The Young Ones, Blackadder, Red Dwarf, Coupling, Ali G/Borat, Seinfeld and South Park. I haven't found too many American ones that have actually been funny, but there's the odd one or two.

Anyone ever seen Ben Elton live? God that man is funny.

So yeah, talk.

One show that I love, but only started watching this year, is Scrubs. I always figured it was just a quirky Chicago Hope, knew nothing about it really, until I watched it a couple of times whilst in London. Got home, bought it on DVD, loved it. Hilarious stuff.

Watched the second series of Extras on the weekend. Top stuff. Ian McKellen is a hoot.

Lucky Louie, Tough Crowd With Colin Quinn, Trailer Park Boys, Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Futurama, The Office (UK).

SNL from 1985 to 2000 is comedy gold.

Scrubs is ok. I watched it on The Comedy Channel but after a while I started to get really sick of it as it is just really really stupid. Every thought or dream is acted out in a stupid childish scene.

Anyone ever seen Ben Elton live? God that man is funny.

So yeah, talk.

Ben Elton? You are joking right? He is a sanctimonious cock.

Good comedians: Jim Norton, Louis C.K., Rich Vos, Robert Kelly, Bob Saget (yes! really. his standup is fucking awesome) Tracey Morgan, Lewis Black, Billy Connelly etc

Coupling is one of the worst shows ever created.

I only really know Ben Elton's sitcom work (Young Ones, Blackadder, etc) which is, of course, excellent. I've watched about five minutes of a stand up show and had to turn it off, and Popcorn is one of the most overrated books I've ever read. Still don't know how I managed to finish it.

Oh yeah, and I saw We Will Rock You as well.

Family guy, curb your enthusiasm, scrubs, the simpsons, south park are probably the only yank comedies that I enjoy.

The funniest TV joke I have ever witnessed was on Coupling. I seem to remember falling off the couch laughing. Pity I can't remember what the joke was. It may have been about vaginas.

Dän;6396724 said:

Not sure what I said wrong there, as you pretty much made the same point I did! :) I could only think of those two American ones I liked....though I was pretty surprised that I actually liked My Wife and Kids when I gave it a shot.

Sorry to offend your sensibilities, mattt, but I'm a Ben Elton fan. Just because you don't like him doesn't mean I'm not allowed to. I can't stand The Simpsons, but I'm happy for anyone else to watch and enjoy it.

Coupling has its pretty stupid moments, but it can be fucking hilarious as well. I often find myself laughing out loud at it. Chances are the joke you enjoyed was about vaginas, Stonewall. :)

I'd like to check out Curb Your Enthusiasm properly sometime if I get hold of a dvd.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is really good. I have the first four series on DVD but I've only watched the first two so far. It can be very stressful to watch sometimes - not nearly as stressful as Fawlty Towers though.

Best episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm (that I've seen) is Beloved Aunt.

Stand up : Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy

TV shows : arrested development, trailer park boys, red dwarf, scrubs, seinfeld, young ones, black adder, fawlty towers, simpsons, spaced and
larry sanders show.

have been watching a show called hyperdrive from UK which isn't too bad. If you like red dwarf you should check it out

One of my fav comedy movies that I think most people would find funny is Dirty Work. I love it.

Another good show I forgot is Dead Ringers. A lot of the segments are lost on those who aren't familiar with everything in the UK, but those which aren't are often very funny.

I didn't mention Little Britain either. Great stuff.

Hey Kem, where are you?

Bottom, Blackbooks I shall add as well.

Knowing me, knowing you with alan partridge as well as I am Alan Partridge.

I am Alan Partridge = possibily the funniest comedy series ever made.