The Simpsons Movie

Divine Victim

Embrace the Death
Jun 12, 2007
Essex, England
I watched this tonight. This is what I thought...

I found it reasonably entertaining, but I felt it was really hamstringed by the need to cameo as many characters as possible, leaving little room for a witty script or original storyline.

I think they were also going for a "bigger picture" storyline by giving Springfield some sort of nation-wide relevance and having the family go to Alaska - these over-the-top touches are not what makes the actual episodes appealling.

My biggest moan though is not with the plot, or this or that character's omission, but with the style of humour itself - it seems to be geared more towards a general viewer than to someone who already knows and loves the Simpsons (ironic, as a review I read claimed it would please fans but not convert any new ones).

What I mean by this is that there is a great deal more slapstick comedy than your average episode, which can only be averagely funny at best (unless done absolutely hilariously, which it isn't). Also, Homer just comes across as a dumb bufoon a lot of the time, rather than the likeable, unpredictable guy he is at his funniest moments. There is too much obvious, one line humour and not enough WIT that makes the episodes so classic. The odd great Wiggum line does not really save it.

I am left feeling that it could have been condensed into a single episode's length and been better for it, and should have followed a more down-to-earth yet creative storyline. The main complaint though is that a lot of the things that make the characters such favourites with fans are sacrificed in order to make it more of a slapstick, 'mainstream' experience, and this is most obvious with Homer.

Still a pretty enjoyable film though I guess, and I'd choose to watch it again over Die Hard 4 any time.

So who else has seen it?

Was going to see it as I was invited to, but then wasn't able to go. I doesn't really matter to me, this is a show I basically gave up on. I love the first few seasons but to me it seems like the past ten years have really just recycled the same jokes over and over, well there isn't even that many jokes on the show now anyways.

The show started going downhill when they tried to become 'hip' and featured celebrity guest appearances every single episode. Homer's character completely changed for the worse. I miss the classic Homer, dumb, slow, ape-like and savage as opposed to the new Homer. One of my favourite episodes is the one where Homer skips church and the house burns down, doesn't get much better than that.

i saw it and it was mildly entertaing, i think maybe it was because i was expecting too much from the old shows that were so good.
it was mediocre in my opinion, i thought maybe i would be the quality of the old shows because it was a movie and everything but not really :/

I watched this tonight. This is what I thought...

I found it reasonably entertaining, but I felt it was really hamstringed by the need to cameo as many characters as possible, leaving little room for a witty script or original storyline.

I think they were also going for a "bigger picture" storyline by giving Springfield some sort of nation-wide relevance and having the family go to Alaska - these over-the-top touches are not what makes the actual episodes appealling.

My biggest moan though is not with the plot, or this or that character's omission, but with the style of humour itself - it seems to be geared more towards a general viewer than to someone who already knows and loves the Simpsons (ironic, as a review I read claimed it would please fans but not convert any new ones).

What I mean by this is that there is a great deal more slapstick comedy than your average episode, which can only be averagely funny at best (unless done absolutely hilariously, which it isn't). Also, Homer just comes across as a dumb bufoon a lot of the time, rather than the likeable, unpredictable guy he is at his funniest moments. There is too much obvious, one line humour and not enough WIT that makes the episodes so classic. The odd great Wiggum line does not really save it.

I am left feeling that it could have been condensed into a single episode's length and been better for it, and should have followed a more down-to-earth yet creative storyline. The main complaint though is that a lot of the things that make the characters such favourites with fans are sacrificed in order to make it more of a slapstick, 'mainstream' experience, and this is most obvious with Homer.

Still a pretty enjoyable film though I guess, and I'd choose to watch it again over Die Hard 4 any time.

So who else has seen it?

holy fucking shit! you stole the words out of my mouth.

Have some imaginary reps.

I saw it today; wasn't bad at all, but wasn't the best comedy either for that matter (I'd rather watch this than Evan Almighty though).

Some jokes were stale, and it seemed that most of the jokes came from shock value more than anything. There were still some damn good parts though :lol:

I do wish it was in the normal Simpsons style though.

I saw it the other day. It was alright, a few good gags, but as Homer states at the beginning, I was a sucker for paying to watch it considering I get pretty much the same thing on TV for free every day.

^I was just about to say that about Homer at the start of the movie. :lol: I thought it was good, was interesting, even if nearly all the jokes were recycled ones from older shows. Have any of you gotten any of The Simpsons Movie toys at Burger King? I really want to get Homer or Bart, but would take Flanders or Krusty, I went by there yesterday and asked what toys they had and they had Marge, Comic Book Guy, and Mr. Burns, I decided to skip out on buying one of those, I think I may end up having to order one online since there isn't a Burger King near me, nearest one is 30 minutes away.

Rod/Tod: I wish Homer Simpson was my dad :sad:
Flanders: And I wish you didn't have the devil's curls!

At least they were able to shove a Jew joke in there :lol:

At Divinevictim: He's not one of my favorite characters, therefore it's not essential for me to get a Mr. Burns toy.