bRaTpRiNcEsS

Feb 4, 2002
Past the Point of Caring
Visit site
'Simpsons' coming to big screen

clear.gif

Zap2it.com
Feb. 11, 2004 02:37 PM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]LOS ANGELES - Ay caramba! "The Simpsons" and all the kooky residents of Springfield are coming to the big screen.

The show's veteran writer and producer Mike Reiss let slip to DVDFanatic.com that a "Simpsons" movie is indeed in the works, fulfilling a long-awaited dream for fans of the yellow-skinned family.

Reiss doesn't give any clues plotwise for the animated feature, but shares how the project, which had been a nebulous fantasy since the second season of the Fox network show, finally got underway.

"We never had the greatest idea that was compelling, but Fox said, 'Maybe if we start paying you, you'll get inspired,' " says Reiss. "And sure enough it worked! We've got a very good and interesting idea and it's different from the show."

The writer compares the concept to the 1999's "South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut," saying that the "Simpsons" film is "just a bigger, longer, amplified version of the show."

According to industry sources, the primary cast all have agreements in their contracts that hold them to doing three movies based on the show in the future. "Simpsons" regulars include the voices of Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith, Hank Azaria and Harry Shearer.

The show has been renewed to run through 2005, which would be its 16th season, making the series the longest running comedy series in U.S. television history except for NBC's "Saturday Night Live." In 1997, "Simpsons" beat "The Flintstones" as the longest-running prime time animated series.

Reiss projects the "Simpsons" movie release date for Summer of Christmas 2006.

"It's a reality after being just sort of this phantom idea," he says. "I think it is really gonna happen."
[/font]

The rumors been going around for years that when The Simpsons finally do their movie it'll mark the end of the series. I don't think I'm ready for life after the Simpsons. I hardly remember life before The Simpsons.

Anyone remember when they had those Simpsons clips on the Tracy Ullman show?

"Wake up Bart, it's World War 3"

When Tracy Ullman won the Emmy for Best Variety Show right after Fox cancelled the show, she joked that maybe she should have just agreed to take those 30 second slots they offered her on the Simpsons.