comment my mix please ..advices,comments and critics :D

newbiemix

Jan 15, 2012
hie guys i'm new here and i'm new to do recording and mixing .. i downloaded a raw file from this forum to practice myself and need someone to give me advice to learn more about mixing and mastering

here's the link of the song http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24964753/WCTI.mp3

hope you guys can give me some advice and comment or tricks about mixing so that i can improve myself :D

Holy shit, those vocals are clipping like a MOTHERFUCKER.
Turn them down.
There's all sorts of wrong with this mix.
The master buss is clipping.
The overheads are pumping, which you generally don't want.
Those guitars don't have hardly any definition at all.
Can't even hear the kick.
The only redeemable aspect to this is the electronic parts sound kinda nice.

the last comment is dead on. just read read read about everything.

where did you get these stems? i want to try mixing this one.

i understand ..sorry for posting up the song.. i just started learn by myself not long ago .all i have is just a akg k44 to mix the song..until i came in this forum and alot of stuff i still don understand ... thats why i just post up so at least i know where is my mistakes and i will redo the whole tracks ...and thefalloftheheretic thanks for your comment and advice will keep that in mind ... will try again mix and then post up and let you guys listen .. will read more and go on youtube to see how to mix a song .. really appreciate it guys :D

iarebrandon will take note and read more about everything perhaps you guys have any tutorial video in youtube or anything so i can look up and see how does mixing works and stuff and the song i cant really remember where to download but its in this forum you can search the file name called WCTI stems

iarebrandon is right. The vocals are way too loud and compressed too hard. The guitars need a lot of surgical EQing to get them to fit into the mix. The drums are very pushed-back, dry and fake sounding. Some of the drum midi is missing too. That being said, a lot of people here learn on their own (myself included) and everybody has to start somewhere. The internet is a great tool. Listen to your favorite mixes, try to imagine what could be done to get to that place. The search function is also very handy. brandon, the song is called WCTI and the stems are from nsguitar.

hey... everyone starts somewhere.

just lay off the compressors until you know how to use them.
as far as eq.... for guitar use a hi pass anywhere from 90 - 150, and low pass anywhere from 9khz and up. find the annoying frequencies around 4khz and notch them out with a narrow Q. around 400 is where you get your "own tone". for bass hi pass from 40-60 is what i usually do. low pass around 8 or 9 khz. if its muddy cut out some around 200-300. for kick hi pass around 50 or 60. find the frequencies that dont conflict with the bass. just exaggerate things until you find the right spots. for snares hi pass around 100 and give it some air around 12khz with a shelf. these are all just a good start. every song is differant.

thanks oroinvictus and iarebrandon for the advice and comments ... really appreciate it ...will go and try it out and play around with it ..will redo the whole track again and post it up and let you guys have listen again ..so atleast i know where's my mistakes hehe ...

thanks mate really appreciate it ... thanks to iarebrandon, oroinvictus and thefalloftheheretic for giving me advice and comment to improve this track .. but i'm sure theres alot to improve for this track if you have any advice or tricks ..mind to comment abit so i know where is my mistakes and where should i improve on :D :D ..i'm still a newbie and i wish i can learn more about it .. :D :D

not bad for ez drummer... add reverb on the snare. sounds like you still need to eq some on the guitar, you have a nice sounding tone, but i can still hear some unneeded "fuzz"

@iarebrandon thanks for the advice again .. will work on it and play around .will post it up again once i done ..thank you so much mate, really appreciate it :D

and guys, do you mind i add you guys in my buddy list ?