Comments on Rock mix

There was a ton of guitar tracks used on that. From what I remember the core rhythms were a Bogner Ecstacy through Bogner 2x12, and then a Soldano preamp and poweramp through Soldano 4x12. I can't remember what model, but it had those automated knobs.

Leads were the Ecstacy through the Bogner 2x12.

Did you use multiple mic's on the cabs? Or were the mics a bit back from the cabinets?

I think what's so cool about the sound is that it's really heavy but not as "in your face" as most metal records.

Yeah, I tried to mellow out the mix a bit, basically what I thought would be 'radio-friendly'. So it's pretty low-end dominant, rather than my past metal mixes which were pretty thin and clicky.

We only used a single SM57 on all the guitar tracks, and it was probably just an inch or two away in most instances.

Thanks guys. I agree the solo tone was very good. It pretty much just came out that way from the rig we used. I can't remember whether it was the Bogner with the Soldano cab or Bogner with Bogner cab for it, but either way it was very saturated and mid-rich.

It wasn't actually a band. It was a single guy, who brought in various 'session' musicians to play his song. Most of it was written on-the-fly as we were recording :|

I sort of remember us going back and doing extra leads. That's right. The second set was through the Soldano cab, but Bogner head. Although the harmony guitar in the back at the end of the song is through the Bogner cab coz we kept that from the first set.

By the way, you've heard this mix before, in class when Ando played it over the PA. Also, I opened the mix session here and that's when you remarked about the guitars sounding mellow.

On another note, Josh from Flesh Embraced said he may be getting onto me about doing sound for them at Musicland again. That's on the 4th of November I believe. It's an all-day thing, metal bands coming out the ass...

wow, Australian guys
Im new to this forum and still a bit intimidated by the talent here
the mix on this is great to my ears, especially the solo, I really love the bit around 2:16 when the solo plays some lower notes, great sounds there
Im no expert on vocal sounds, but they sounds a bit dry, and close, a bit too distinct from the backing vocals
Im knitpicking, thats the only criticism I can think of

great work

oh yeah, im from Adelaide