COMParison: all the modes in the MH ChannelStrip vs. Waves SSL Channelstrip

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
Here's a wee comparison of all the compression modes in the Metric Halo Channelstrip and the Waves SSL Channelstrip.

THIS FOLDER contains 24bit wav files of a raw snare sample, as well as versions processed with the different character comp settings of the MH CS and the Waves SSL CS.

The settings on all the comps were:
Ratio: 3.8
Attack: 40ms ("slow" on the SSL)
Release: 140ms
6dB gain reduction.

The modes on the MH CS are: smooth, warm, fast, MIO

Wow this is interesting to see exactly how small the differences are between the two. I'm loading it up into Pro Tools now for closer examination, will report back.

Yeah there is really nothing in them at all, MH Fast was my favorite of the set, with Waves SSL being my least favorite. I think the compression characteristics may become more clear on something with a lot more sustain such as a bass guitar.

wow, that's very interesting. first of all I tried to replicate your settings on the waves ssl channel and it sounded different. did you use a limiter on the master bus or something?
I'm just asking cause all the processed clips sound as loud as the raw clip but the level isn't higher. I would expect the initial transient of the processed clips to go over 0db since the raw sample is already showing -0.7 on my meter. yet your processed clips show -0.7 as well. just asking cause I want to replicate your experiment, kind of.
secondly, it seldomly occured to me that compressors change the frequency balance as much as in your clips and that's interesting.

thanks for the clips

I normalized all the clips (incl the raw one) after the processing, so you won't achieve the same results with your comp.

I actually think the difference is quite big, the ssl sounds very tubby and wooly compared to most of the mh clips.
The MIO sounds a bit wooly as well, the warm just kills IMO.....perfect ssl snap, that's why no other plugin can beat the ma cs.

I have the Mio-Strip (the MH channelstrip version for their interfaces) which is even more punchy. I love it!!!

I hate the compression of the waves SSL channelstrip, I never use it. Only the Eq and gate. I am using the waves api 2500 on everything :)

The MIO and Waves were my favourite. They have a good mid-bass/low-mid build-up. Makes the drum sound fatter - more Randy-like. You should throw the Duende in there if you get a chance. Compared to the Waves the Duende is even warmer sounding, so that'd be interesting to hear.

I should have probably mentioned I was listening on some fairly terrible AKG cans... I agree with everything said thus far, its just that I was expecting a much larger difference. This thread and a few others are making me really want that channel strip.

The MIO and Waves were my favourite. They have a good mid-bass/low-mid build-up. Makes the drum sound fatter - more Randy-like. You should throw the Duende in there if you get a chance. Compared to the Waves the Duende is even warmer sounding, so that'd be interesting to hear.

Really?
Weird, I hated those two for their low mid tubbyness

Duende FTW. =D

Haven't listened to this because I don't want to get upset that MH ChannelStrip isn't available in WinVST format..... =(

those we're the same two i picked, the mio slightly beats the waves. they're just fatter than the rest. but in the mix...who knows!