Comparisons of metal mastering. Which is the best and why?

Hello everybody!

I start this thread to be able to make comparisons between the different techniques of mastering. I have calibrated both audio tracks in order that they have the same RMS volume, so both audio tracks have the same intensity.

PASTER OF MUPPETS (MASTERING 01)

The first audio track sounds more powerful, but also more "flattened" or "squashed". Maybe this be due to the excess of compression and/or limitation.

PASTER OF MUPPETS (MASTERING 02)

Second track doesn't sound as powerful as the first, but keeps bigger dynamic range.

Keep in mind that the first audio track had bigger volume than the second one, therefore I had to decrease volume to it. :oops:

Perhaps everybody will be able to learn from everyone. :cool:

By the way, I've used this equipment:

Guitar: Prominy SC + Peavey Revalver MK III
Bass: Chris Hein Bass + IK Ampeg SVX
Drums: Toontrack Superior 2.0

I've used Steinberg Wavelab for the first mastering, and some Waves plug-ins for the second one.

The second one sounds way better.
Try using clipping rather than compression and limiting though if you want something slightly more natural sounding.
I got -9.5rms on the last mix I did (according to voxengo elephant) using a few instances of gClip and a tiny bit of compression, and it doesn't sound as smushed.

Yeah, I know but... What could I do? They are just sampled guitar. :rolleyes:hehehe
Sampled guitar..? There's nothing wrong with the sampling.. it's the playing that's the problem :)

EDIT: I guess you're saying that you didn't play the guitar... so... i guess you'll have to cut the string noise out... :)