Compressing/limiting DI's prior to reamping?

Jaymz

Stymphalian Productions
May 20, 2006
York
www.facebook.com
Im reamping an EP worth of guitar tracks and have been thinking about processing the DI's in a way to keep the consistancy flowing. The guitarist got more and more confident in his playing as we got further through the tracking so the first song is "fairly" weaker than the rest of the tracks and im finding I have to turn the gain up on the amp for that song or specific sections.

Is the DI compressing/limiting a smart move?

I don't have time to "test" the method properly when it could lead to any un-desireable effects....so I thought id bring this up on here first :)

Cheers! :kickass:

Jaymz

once in a while i've found the need to slightly eq and de-ess guitar tracks. never really using pure compression though. worth a try though who knows, there's no rules. if it sounds good then so be it. the dessing helps if its not played cleanly or there's serious string stuff going on like really annoying "clank"

Not too many problems EQ wise, if anything I take a TINY bit of low end out on the DI but I leave the rest. Its the dynamic consistancy thats the problem.

You are gonna raise the noise of those DI's to an unbearable level if you mess with the dynamics on them. Even just bumping the send level a tad will give you more noise at the amp. If it was clean guitar you could probably get away with it.

I'd be tempted to simply increase the level of the quieter track before re-amping. just up the gain of the DI track by a few db's, until its in the same region as the louder tracks.

Andy told me once he was using a transient designer on a guitarist's DIs to help with poor picking strength.

Raising the fader for the mono out that the DI was on was your best bet, and you did it.

:)