Compressing Vocals

GearMan2point0

Musician/Engineer
Feb 13, 2011
While I was recording screaming vocals on my bands new demo, I realized that 1176, 2a and 3a compressors don't allow for fast enough attack. I normally would use these compressors for vocals, along with SSL etc.. but I have found myself going back to C1 compressor because I need that fast attack to smoothen it out.

While using 1176, 2a and 3a I have realized that the vocals pop out harshly and when the compressor kicks in 10ms afterward the vocals draw back out creating a undesired artifact in the beginning of the line.

So my chain looks like this...

CLA-2A - squash the screams a little bit adding bite
Saturator
C1 Comp - 2ms attack
EQ
DeEsser
C1 Comp - 0.5ms attack (slighter ratio) just to smoothen it out even more
gate
delay
EQ

Does anyone else resort to C1 or other plugins that offer faster attack for their scream vocals?

1176 to slow? goes from 20uS - 800uS if i recall correctly, damn fast imho... just to make sure, you are aware that the fastet attack-time on a 1176 is fully clockwise?

1176 to slow? goes from 20uS - 800uS if i recall correctly, damn fast imho... just to make sure, you are aware that the fastet attack-time on a 1176 is fully clockwise?

That definitely explains this. I had it set at 1 thinking it meant 10ms. Thanks man, I appreciate this!

Yep, 1176 is about as fast as it gets.

Really liking the song in your sig. btw; you guys have got a pretty good sound going there.

I'm not sure, but MAYBE Stillwell's Rocket... maybe

I think the Rocket goes down to fractions of a microsecond, if I remember correctly, so you're probably right. It looks like it is modeled after a 1176 type design, so it's probably right up there either way. Great affordable option, too.

A lot of software 1176 emus are slow (in 1176'ish terms). Waves CLA76 and Softube FET for example are too slow to catch fast transients. The original UAD 1176 is fast, my Distressor is fast, the Waves SSL *bus* comp is fast. Afair, C1 is quite fast as well.

why would a software plugin compressor need to be ridiculously fast? doesn't a plugin have the advantage of look-ahead, and thus can compress in real-time (theoretically 0 attack time) instead of needing to react to transients as they occur?

Just as a rule of thumb anything faster than 50uS will not make any difference to the sound or speed of the compressor, for all audible frequencies, 50uS or less has effectively a 0 attack time, or in other words, is a brickwall.

The 1176 is fast, almost too fast.

hahaha i made this same mistake when starting out with the protools BF76, had no idea why untill i read the manual

Yeah man lol. It's sort of embarrassing, kind of not really.... I wouldn't classify myself a noob, but everyone has things they can learn about anything. I definitely read the manual though, definitely much more insight lol.

I do appreciate everyone helping me though, thanks guys! Much love