Compromise?

sic42

New Metal Member
Feb 27, 2009
May I have people's opinions and/or sources to back up those opinions on whether or not you think that metal musicians compromise social values, such as religion or governmental authority, in order to earn profit? Do you think this is ethical or moral if they do? And why is this so successful? Is there an objective way of interpreting this information?

If the bands write their own lyrics and conduct themselves in a certain way at concerts, should the members be held in esteem or criticized?

Just some thoughts.
Thanks very much!

Metal musicians earn profit? :loco:

In any case, if you aren't being honest then it's unethical. If you have a belief and it moves you to write on it, do so. If you read a good book or watched a good movie and are inspired by it, work off that. Don't write something because your church or political party told you to or decline from writing something because some pissy closed minded 'fan' tells you not to.

If you have to ask why honesty in expression is ethical then I'm not sure what to do for you. Not that you can't make art out of lies, but still, in a thought-out instance, you would still be honest if say you sat down and decided to write something false just for the experiment of it.

May I have people's opinions and/or sources to back up those opinions on whether or not you think that rap and hip hop "musicians" compromise social values, such as obeying laws or treating others (especially women) with respect, in order to earn profit? Do you think this is ethical or moral if they do? And why is this so successful? Is there an objective way of interpreting this information?

If the bands write their own lyrics and conduct themselves in a certain way at concerts, should the members be held in esteem or criticized?

Just some thoughts.
Thanks very much!

FYP

May I have people's opinions and/or sources to back up those opinions on whether or not you think that metal musicians compromise social values, such as religion or governmental authority, in order to earn profit? Do you think this is ethical or moral if they do?

Metal itself (generally speaking) is against the establishment facade, authority, morally out there and most of the time against religion. Where are you getting at with this point when metal inherently has values that are the total opposite of what you mentioned?

And why is this so successful?

Metal bands are succesful? :lol:

Well, metal is a very influential genre in this day and age, and has garnered many fans; that, in my mind, means success. Honesty in artistic expression is very valued, but most of the lyrics and presentation go against conventional, and/or conservative, opinions of morality, authority, and religion. Do you think the artists genuinely believe what they are presenting? Is it really honest expression? Or are they just causing anarchy for the sake of expression or anarchy itself? or because it will sell?
I don't mean to offend by producing these statements. I'm just curious.

Thanks.

Well, metal is a very influential genre in this day and age, and has garnered many fans; that, in my mind, means success. Honesty in artistic expression is very valued, but most of the lyrics and presentation go against conventional, and/or conservative, opinions of morality, authority, and religion. Do you think the artists genuinely believe what they are presenting? Is it really honest expression? Or are they just causing anarchy for the sake of expression or anarchy itself? or because it will sell?

Thanks.

If they would be in it for selling records, they would not be recording metal music.

Maybe you're trying to start a decent discussion, but your questions seem to be from someone that doesn't know a whole lot of metal.

In some genres (black metal and death especially) they posed a front of satanism and other forms of rebellion just to shock people and be different, that still doesn't cut artistict value from the artist, though integrity could be in question. Now I pose the question, how are these subjects selling points for the aforementioned artists?

Thanks.
Metal honestly does not have a big audience compared to most other genres of music, its fans just tend to be more vocal and dedicated and noticeable (what with the long hair, graphic shirts, etc that often go with metal). Most metal musicians (as in practically all; for example, Amon Amarth, who are one of the bigger bands in metal right now, only quit their day jobs with their sixth album) work day jobs and make very little if anything from playing music; many lose money due to the cost of recording and gear not being off-set by sales. Thus musicians have to be absolutely dedicated to their music. Lyrics, however, are often not intended to be taken at face value. Gore lyrics (I think they're stupid, but w/e) are intended to complement the brutality of the music; Satanic lyrics in black metal are intended to create a more hateful atmosphere (although many black metal artists either really believe in or create personas of Satanic worshipers that extends beyond the music). Many power metal bands write fantasy lyrics; to say that they believe in unicorns and dragons would be absurd. Whether artists believe in the values implied by their lyrics is another question. The answer is simply that some do and some don't. In metal more than in other genres the vocalist is often essentially just another instrumentalist; his voice is used as an element of the music, and the lyrics are there because he has to say something (Amon Amarth, for example, have stated they don't really have any huge interest in vikings despite having sung about them for 7 full albums).
The idea of writing lyrics that will sell is a little far-fetched. There are only a couple metal bands that can "sell" - i.e. move a significant number of albums and appear on charts. Iron Maiden can do it, but every Maiden fan will by the next Maiden album, whether it's about dissecting prostitutes or a scriptural analysis. Metallica can do it, but anyone stupid enough to buy another Metallica album after Death Magnetic probably can't read well enough to figure out the lyrics anyways. Megadeth can do it, but if you're buying an album that says Megadeth on it the lyrics aren't gonna be a big issue for you.

Thanks for being considerate, I confess that I'm a bit slow on the uptake and that I don't listen to much metal. Just trying to find out a little more about it. I appreciate your input and it shed light on lots of things. Much appreciated! :)