Metal fans: USA vs Europe

I do not want to see metal become popular. Why? Popular = catchy, watered-down, polished. If metal could somehow become popular with my favorite bands still displaying complexity in playing and writing, then fine. We all know that the best bands are usually, not always, but usually, the least simple ones. It has nothing to do with wanting to remain underground, to be 'part of something that no one else knows about'...I got over that phase of being a metal fan almost 10 years ago now. I just like my music complex and abrasive more often that not.

basically the metal scene in America fuckin sucks hairy donkey dicks. The great American metal bands are getting fuckin old, and soon we will be left with nothing but piles of diarrhea.

The great American metal bands are getting fuckin old, and soon we will be left with nothing but piles of diarrhea.

But-i must admit, that the non-metal rock scene in USA is on a rise nowadays. I mean such bands, like Green Day or Paramore.

Why do people think that metal becoming accepted and popular would mean the end of the underground? Do you think there aren't any underground pop/hip-hop/rock bands that completely kick the shit out of the top 40 stuff? Playing an accepted and commercially viable form of music in no way precludes artistic integrity.

Furthermore, I am sick and fucking tired of this Chicken Little shit about how there's no good metal today. You just don't know about the good metal being made, because you have your head stuck too far up your ass. In 20 years I guarantee you you'll have discovered a shitload of releases from this decade that completely blow your mind and are considered classic that you don't know about now. The rate of expansion in terms of major stylistic movements in metal has slowed since the 80s, but there's definitely more individual experimentation now than there was then.

The media could play more than the top 5 selling songs of the highest selling genre. Even the most brain dead (or musicially deprived) fools I've met can't listen to thier own 'favorite' radio station for more than 30 mins without getting sick of it and changing it, more than likely to a station that's playing a song they just heard in the previous 30 min.

Why do people think that metal becoming accepted and popular would mean the end of the underground? Do you think there aren't any underground pop/hip-hop/rock bands that completely kick the shit out of the top 40 stuff? Playing an accepted and commercially viable form of music in no way precludes artistic integrity.

Furthermore, I am sick and fucking tired of this Chicken Little shit about how there's no good metal today. You just don't know about the good metal being made, because you have your head stuck too far up your ass. In 20 years I guarantee you you'll have discovered a shitload of releases from this decade that completely blow your mind and are considered classic that you don't know about now. The rate of expansion in terms of major stylistic movements in metal has slowed since the 80s, but there's definitely more individual experimentation now than there was then.

I am sick and tired of people praising shit metal albums. And just because there is good hardcore, black metal, death metal, grindcore, or stoner rock.. it doesn't mean everyone is into that style of metal. When you play music yourself, and look at music through the eyes of the musician, music is not as impressive. It's harder to impress the musician, and Certain ideas are not as interesting to the musician than what the ordinary listener thinks.

Ha. With a screen name such as that, do you really need to ask?

I was actually watching a show about xtianity the other night.It appears to be flourishing in the USA with all the mega-churches and devotees,whereas according to this show it's in decline in Europe and mainly only attended by old cunts.Not that i've ever been out of Australia,religion does'nt effect me and i don't really think it effects metal's popularity at all.It's just not music that many people enjoy but there are dedicated pockets of metalheads all over the world,from rich countries to poor.Unfortunately pop musics sheer popularity means that metal would never be able to compete commercially.Fucking Justin Bieber probably has already sold more albums than the entire metal underground combined.

Ha!

VS

and

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, metalheads need not blame Xtians for oppressing their favorite music, since they have embraced the genre and are producing bands (especially metalcore). It's actually a clever way of recruiting disaffected youths, I think.

I am sick and tired of people praising shit metal albums. And just because there is good hardcore, black metal, death metal, grindcore, or stoner rock.. it doesn't mean everyone is into that style of metal. When you play music yourself, and look at music through the eyes of the musician, music is not as impressive. It's harder to impress the musician, and Certain ideas are not as interesting to the musician than what the ordinary listener thinks.
lol dude get over yourself

Is it surprising that a new song in a commercially viable genre is more popular than a 20-year old song with limited-to-no mainstream appeal?

About role of Church.
I don't wanna to go discussion on that way, but...
In a movie "Headbanger's journey", or whatever that movie name was, one "Satanist" (that's how he described himself), said one opinion, that i found interesting.
There was a chapter in the movie, that describes relations between religion and metal (ya know, it's when Tom Araya said about "how catholic he was, singing "God hates us all""). And this "Satanist" said, that initially, all this "Satanistic" imageniry (and as example he took Black Sabbath, who never was or proclaiming some "Satanism", not in lyrics, nor in behavior) was an approach to grab more popularity. You know-like a horror movies. Hitchсock shows a shadow, and that was "AAAHHH!!!!" in all cinemas, and now you see one man, chopping another to pieces with a chainsaw, and you chewing popcorn, yawning and bored. Was aproach to became more "baaad", "eviiil" and so. "That's that EVIL and BAD band, who slays virgins on a scene, and drink their blood between songs about "Satanic Hell" and "Hellish Satanists"??? And that's that band, your granny forbids to listen to! Wow! WE MUST GO AND LISTEN THEM!".
How one smart man said long time ago "When you first SEE "Kiss" band, you immediately want to LISTEN them"

I think any correlation between Christianity and metal is minuscule
That's why i think the same. Deeply religious man whould not listen to any music at all (i mean-became a fan), because music lays not in field of his interests. And if so happens, and deeply religious man became to listen to heavy metal,i didn't think, that this music affects his beliefs so much, because religiuos, philosophical beliefs didn't come from a music, but from a everyday's life.
I, in my life, see more people, who became religious, spiritual man (not necessary Christians-there are many other concepts in this world) after they was a Heavy Metal listeners, than people, who was religious, and became "True Norwegian Warriors of Northern Darkness" after listens to Metal music.