Statistics

rr97@firefox.net

New Metal Member
Jul 5, 2007
Hi all,
I'm seeking metal statistics, I asked Google, I asked guys who are supposed to know, nobody had the right or sufficiant reply. I hope that I'm at the right place and I hope that you got the answer.
The question :
In which country/countries is there the biggest number of metal fans ?
I think it is USA because there are more people in USA than somewhere else where there are metal fans, so I should add another and maybe more important question (in my pov); Where do we find the biggest number of metal fans compared to the population number ?
Thanks.
PS : if you have any other metal-related statistics, I would like you to share them here.

Finland. Because metal music is getting really mainstream here because of bands and people like Lordi and Ari Koivunen.

And when Metallica plays on the Olympic Stadium which holds 50 000 people. That's 1% of Finnish people right there which is pretty good.

AND... It's a common sight to see a metal band #1 on the charts.

There's not a lot in America,I wouldn'tbe surprised if Europe had more.
Thank you for replying but, I'm talking about countries, USA are more populated than any country of Europe (including Russia), so it makes me think there would be more fans there than else though I'm not sure. If you talk about the continent, America is more populated than eastern Europe so I'll be very surprised if Europe appears to have more metal fans... But I don't care, all I'm looking for now is an official website where I could find these statistics, including best-sold albums by countries, most popular groups by coutries too and by the way, statistics related to metal fans by age.
Thank you all !

Just take a random sample of people on these boards and find which countries their from, it'll tell you on their profiles. That's the easiest way I can think of. Though it may be biased, considering this is an English speaking forum, and fans may be not.

I don't think there's really ways to tell which countries/continents have the biggest number of metal fans, though it would generally be Europe or the States.

First thing you'll want to do is define what you mean by "metal fan".
Once you get that bs out of the way, my guess would be greatest number of "metal fans" in the US; per capita, let's say Finland.

yeah, i'm thinking germany as well

just because the US has more people doesnt mean we have more metalheads. america is a consumer culture, grasping on to the latest trend. metal hasnt been trendy since the 80s
~gR~

FTR, my sister lived in Germany for a few years; she says she never saw a metalhead.
True, she doesn't know shit about metal, and true, I've been to Germany and I've seen metalheads, but she's still way cooler than you (generic you), and I just find her observation interesting.

thats why we live in the metal underground. its not obvious to the normal jackass. what was that quote from rob zombie from the headbangers journey dvd? somthing about being millions strong yet there are people that still dont know we exist
~gR~

thats why we live in the metal underground. its not obvious to the normal jackass. what was that quote from rob zombie from the headbangers journey dvd? somthing about being millions strong yet there are people that still dont know we exist
~gR~

"The thing I love about metal is, it's so fucking huge, but some people don't even know it exists."

I would say the US, due to the massive population compared to any European country, has the most metal fans. If however we count Europe as one entity, I would guess that it wins. I believe I once heard that Finland had the best metal band/population ratio, so what Jesse said is probably a reflection of that. However, even if only .5% of Americans liked metal, that is still 1.5 million people.

I didn't find what I was I looking for exactly but at least and thanks to you, I have a global idea now. Thank you all !