Concert nightmares

A7

Live to Win
Feb 9, 2008
Makati, Philippines
www.myspace.com
This past Saturday, I went to a metal concert event here in Manila titled Pulp Summerslam X: The Apocalypse, which was headlined by Testament and Lamb of God. Weeks prior to the event, I was informed by the promoter that the more-expensive VIP passes (Php 3,500, which is roughly US$78) included "all-access" privileges and free food & drinks. So I got one, hoping to meet the bands backstage.

Unfortunately, the privileges were far from the truth. For starters, the VIP section was directly to the right of the stage, resulting in the worst possible visibility of the show. The section was caged-in like a pig pen; it wasn't crowded at all, but everyone felt completely isolated from everyone else. Worse was that there were no seats or portable toilets in the section at all.

There was free pizza and beer, but from what I heard from other fans, the food came in very late - at least an hour or two after the show started.

But the worst part of it all was that all VIPs were denied access throughout the show. WTF? I was one of the 300 people who paid top-dollar to get the best out of the show and to avoid the general admission crowd of 30,000+, who were throwing piss-filled bottles everywhere at random. Yet I find out that we were all denied the main reason to go VIP in the first place.

Right now, the Facebook pages of the event and Pulp magazine are flooded with complaints by the VIPs. I even texted the promoter himself that I forwarded some of the complaints to my dad, who is the Secretary of Trade and Industry. And just a minute later, the guy texted me back:

"Good for you"

What an asshole!:mad::mad::mad: He obviously doesn't give a shit that he intentionally ripped off people in this show. Was it because he sold the general admission tickets at a loss (Php 300 each, which is roughly US$6.75)? Regardless of whatever reason, there is no excuse for such a half-assed treatment.

And to believe I met up with him in hopes of bringing the Maidens over here...

That really, really sucks. But I think the best way to get your message across is to hit him in his wallet. Spread the word to your friends about what a scam artist he is and try to warn as many people as possible not to go to any shows he's promoting. One person tells one more, one person turns to five and five turns to ten, so on and so on. Maybe if enough people stop attending the shows he puts on, he'll get the message.

I'm going to change the topic title slightly so people here can post their grievances about negative concert experiences of all kinds.