Concert Report: San Francisco, 5/17

Lies and Perfidy

Gentleman of the Road
Nov 27, 2002
Washington, Washing-Ton
thefinger.wordpress.com
Man, what a sweet fucking show.

Evergrey: Great sound, and a pretty solid setlist (though I would've liked to hear "The Great Deciever." Some happy assholes actually started a pit to "Recreation Day." Englund's vocals were very good, but the Inner Circle songs they played weren't that impressive.
Setlist:
Blinded
The End of Your Days
Rulers of the Mind
More Than Ever
Recreation Day
A Touch of Blessing
The Masterplan

Children of Bodom: They used that "They're coming to take me away, heehee, hoho..." thing from Dr. Demento as their intro. Crazy Finns. Good performance, insane moshpits, and two songs from Hatebreeder whereas on some dates they didn't even play any. This one huge dude who looked like a Marine broke my spleen or something, but whatever, I don't even know what a spleen is for so it can't be very valuable. Their keyboardist played a bunch of "Holy Diver" just to fuck with us. An entertaning setlist, very high-energy.
Setlist (not entirely in order outside of the first and last)
Hate Me
not sure, probably from Hate Crew Deathroll
Sixpounder
Silent Night, Bodom Night
Needled 24/7
Every Time I Die
Hate Crew Deathroll
Downfall

Iced Earth: TIM OWENS IS YOUR MOTHERFUCKING GOD. One of the best live vocal performances I've ever heard...he just completely ruled everything he sang. "Dracula" was just mind-bogglingly good. Of course, only two songs from the first three albums, but the Something Wicked... material came off much better live at high speeds, and Owens owned "Burning Times" and "The Coming Cuse." The two trilogies together were a bit much...I dig the Gettysburg trilogy, but it's just not a good idea live. "When the Eagle Cries" got a depressingly good reaction...I turned my back, and tried to start a "CA-NA-DA!" chant afterwards. Didn't work. Monstrous pit for the final s/t song, as everyone released all the energy they had left; I took two steps in and got knocked flat on my back. Good times. That was the only moshing I did for IE...preferred to sing along and headbang.
Setlist:
The Star-Spangled Banner/Declaration Day
Burning Times
Vengeance Is Mine
Violate (those four songs were all played in a row, without a single pause)
Melancholy
Angel's Holocaust
Greenface
Red Baron - Blue Max
Dracula
My Own Savior
When the Eagle Cries
Prophecy
Birth of the Wicked
The Coming Curse
(Encore, with the Confederate/Union uniforms and American flag guitars and all that shit.)
The Devil To Pay
Hold At All Costs
High Water Mark
Iced Earth

And then I went home, chilled with a few friends for two hours, and then slept until 2 PM.

Great day.