Confederate Flag Racist?

Weapon X

Raised to be Lowered
Jul 25, 2002
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Please enlighten me! Is the confederate flag a racist symbol? or is it just flag of Southern American Pride? I can't fully come to a conclusion to what it's exactly suppose to represent.

I understand that a lot of blacks hate it, for them it represents black slavery. But I think it can be said for a southerner it represents their heritage, the area is which they were born.

You wouldn't see a German have Nazi Flag displaying so widely in public like the confederate. But then again the Nazi flag isn't the original flag for that country or it regions that I know of, it more represents a time period of that country. So you see I'm a little schizoid about the whole subject matter.

I will say this tho, that when I see the flag, the first thing that pops in my head is that it is a racist flag. Please enlighten me as to what it is suppose to represent to the general American!
confederate_flag.jpg

I want to adopt a Mongol, and name him Lloyd. Then I can introduce him as "this is my Mongol, LLoyd."

I understand it can be used as a symbal of southern heritage, but what was sole the purpose of the Confederacy breaking away from the northern states? To keep slavery legal.

Nazism is outlawed in Dermany, thats at least one reason why you won't see many swastikas in the open.

Because of that little slavery thingie, I think most people see that flag as a racist symbol.

Weapon X said:
I understand that a lot of blacks hate it, for them it represents black slavery. But I think it can be said for a southerner it represents their heritage, the area is which they were born.

That's about the size of it.

Stereotypes rule. Computer nerds always have a mullet tied into a pony tail. In fact, most of those techy support types have Star Trek models sitting on top of their PC monitors as well, and the ones that listen to hardcore also wear sandals in the office.

'Aint no stereotype neither, it be a fact. :Smug:

what always makes me laugh, is when one of these redneck idiots has a HUGE american flag on one side of his truck, and a HUGE confederate flag on the other to display his american pride. doesnt he fuckin know that the confederacy tried to leave america? it was a seperate country (in their minds)! and dont try to say its because of their heiratige, this stupid ass in california isnt from the south. he was born right here in norcal, which has more fuckin hicks than you probably think.
-neal

You guys have Okies too, those people are cool, it's like the Grapes of Wrath off the 99. :lol:

I'm too tired to get into the Confederate Flag discussion. I'll just say that those that see it strictly as a racist symbol know nothing about it. It represents heritage, not racism.

Mullett? Me? No way. I wouldn't say I look like a computer nerd either. I don't have glasses or wear high-water pants or suspenders.