Confussed by panning (Or: Left is the new Right and the other way round...)

HeadCrusher

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
So I'm playing around with the panning in my mix using Cubase SXs mixer and my AKG K240s (getting real monitors soon, but not soon enough for this problem/mix unfortunetally).

I wanted the bass to be about 30% on the left side so I set it to "L30". I came out on the right can so I figured "Ah, this mixer might implicate the view from 'stage'" or something stupid like that but no problem: I panned it "R30" and everything was fine. The Meter on the channelstrip showed that there was more of the signal on the right side though...

Mix the whole thing, done, exported it (using File -> Export -> Audio-Mixdown). Then I listened on my crappy Notebook speakers and suddenly everything was reversed panning-wise. Bass on the right side, Hi-Hat on the left and so on...

What happened? Could it be that the Headphone jack on my interface is connected the wrong way? If I connect the phones to my notebook panning is the same as on the notebook speakers so I guess the cans are alright.

Or am I really being stupid on this one?? Please help, wanted to give this away for mastering in the afternoon... Do you think I could just ask the guy to exchange left and right to fix that?

thx in advance!

hey guy

your monitors are hooked up backwards :)

edit: i just re read your post and realized you were mixing on headphones, i dont know what that could be other than having inverted headphones or a reversed jack?

Now that's strange:

It says "ASIO Multimedia Driver Stereo Out" and Left and Right are routed to my computers internal soundcard. Even though I monitor through my interface (of course) and in that menu no other device is shown as an option...

Anyway, I might fix this, when I get my monitors. It won't make any problems if I just ask the Mastering guy to exchange left and right, would it?

Thanks for all the other replies.

Of course I got my phones on the right way but (as I said earlier) that jack on the interface might actually really be fucked.

For the cubase settings thing see above.

On panning the bass: Just hypothetical, should have said hi-hat or something... %)

So once again: Anything I should watch out for when just changing left and right in the final stereo mix file (Maybe phasing or something)? I couldn't hear anything special when I tried it out.

Maybe just ignore it and put the headphones on the other way around? You say it's fine after you export anyway. Have you tried listening to the exported file on your headphones and comparing to the laptop speakers?

Headphone output of audio interface: panning is wrong.
Headphone output of computer's internal soundcard: panning is right.

So I guess I'll really just put em on the other way round when there're coming out of the interface...

Bass panning...... I was listening to a Doors song today, and the bass was full left and the organ was full right...... Sounded amazing actually....

God damnit, that was just an example! :D Bass is in the center on this one.
But as some already said on old stuff is a lot of crazy panning. Also listened to a Doors song yesterday, it was like drums on the left and voice on the right... %)

sorry this is off topic...

does it not get crowded in middle with bass kick snare and vocals all centered?? I didn't know you guys all use bass right in the middle i thought you would pan it like 30 or so like this guy did.