Is panning guitars hard left/right not common in commercial records?

abyssofdreams

knows what you think.
Sep 30, 2002
Germany
www.abyssofdreams.com
I've compared my latest mixes to a LOT of commercial recordings lately and I tried to pay attention to the stereo/depth of field solely...

As for the guitars it seems that they are almost never panned completely to the hard left/right side or is it just me being paranoid?

I know many (if not all) pan the guitars 100/80 on both sides (if quad-tracked), however, comparing tracks commercial records are somewhat more geared towards the center?

Did anyone else notice that?

I'm gonna take a jab here and say that it depends on the style of music. I know most of the metal I listen to is geared towards hard L and R. But then some of the soft rock/ pop stuff has the guitars more centered but further back in the mix. Just my observation ofcourse :)

Cheers, I shall do that and get back to you. Shame most of my faves are Sneap recorded albums, they are all left and right! But I shall dig into my other stuff XD

Well, there are CDs where they have more than 2 tracks of rhythm guitar and pan the two hard L&R and the other two a little closer to the center. Maybe that gives you the impression that they're not hard L&R...
I know nevermore's dead heart for example is two tracks 100% L&R and other two 80% L&R.

It's pretty much standard practice with metal and hard rock. There's generally multiple tracks of guitar, though, some of which are closer to the center, or centered and lower in the mix. Even one-guitarist bands (Pantera, Decapitated, Tool, AIC, etc.) have multiple rhythm tracks L/R or L/R/C. It's very unusual to hear otherwise on any album with high gain guitars.

Just two tracks (well, two performances really, accounting for multiple mics or multiple amps) hard left and right is fairly rare, but not unheard of. Lamb Of God and some My Dying Bride albums come to mind immediately where the guitars are hard L/R and not quad+ tracked.