Congratulations America

It's just that the level of intimacy on this board allows me to think people can get along with my incessant sarcasm. I should have considered the likely opinions of those that do not know me, but I didn't. It's all my fault that I'm misunderstood.
There are no hard feelings on my side. I can understand how and why you took offense. I apologized. I hope I've made myself clear and have displayed enough goodwill on this issue.
Good night. Sleep well.

I agree that the Afghan people should not be hurt if it can be avoided, unfortunately there does seem to be no viable option other than air-stirkes, that i can see. diplomacy doesn't seem to be getting anywhere and the US simply does not have enough people who are well trained enough to do the commando thing i was talking about. it is sad and i feel for those innocent people who are in the middle of it, but i think something should definately have been done about the taliban and osama bin laden. the taliban, in my opinion, are a bunch of fundamentalist gits who chose the parts of islam they want. osama bin laden is just a bastard, and whether or not he was behind the massacre of some 5000 innocent people he should still be captured and tried because he *is* a terrorist.

btw, i know you've pretty much ended the conversation, now, but i've meant to say something more for the past few nights but never got round to it, or my connection has frozen. i hate my computer! ;)

What I -along with all the US army officials- cannot understand is this:

Ladin, Taliban and all his boyos have taken shelter below the ground while bombs fall on innocent people who've got nowhere to hide. How just is this "war" when it targets suffering people instead of those filthy mice? Do we have to make more mistakes that can't be undone by our grandchildren in the future? Is this the only way to get rid of the misdeeds of the past?

USA has been given a chance to negotiate with the invisible enemy, to retreat their forces from several countries, but they haven't even thought about discussion (or so it seems). Instead of negotiation they pull out their missiles and go carpet-bombing a poor country.
Anyhow, I don't feel qualified to discuss the matter.

What I fear the most, is the fact that we all seem to be heading out into pretty dark times ....

Perhaps this entire thread could have been avoided if the USA would only act within the bounds of its own Constitution and the wisdom of those men who founded her. Sadly, this is not the case, and has not been the case for over a hundred years. So where does this leave us? Nowhere good, that is for sure. This 'war' if it can even be called that will be a disaster resulting in more terrorists attacks, more freedoms being taken away BY OUR GOVERNMENT... and it will all avail nothing. If we are to eradicate terrorism worldwide... Let's start a bit closer than the Middle East. Here in the USA for example. Organizations such as the utterly demented ELF (Earth Liberation Front) are not shy about their acts of terror, yet the US Government does nothing... along those lines... will the we be going after the IRA? I think not. Again, what this entire ordeal boils down to is... years and years of unconstitutional and imperialistic foreign policy eventually blew up in our faces... however, as opportunistic as ever, the US Government seized the chance to do now what it could have only dreamed of doing just over a month ago. That is to restrict your freedoms while increasing its own. As James Madison said, "Crisis is the rallying cry of tryants." Of course, ordinary Americans pay that no heed, they are blinder than sheep. Even without the government-fed propaganda, they would all virtually still be walking in lock-step never questioning. So, we will terrorize them to no avail and they will terrorize us back in return. This solves what exactly? Rather, once more, it is about time we as a country turned back to our great founding document and the wisdom of those who gave it to us... before it is too late. Though it may be rightly argued that we past that line long ago.

Very interesting to hear points of view from different parts of the world.

No matter how the USA responded to 09/11/01, we'd still be having this type of discussion, just that some details would be different.

The USA tactic of "softening" the enemy before deploying ground troops is how we do business. Everybody says "their" way is the best - I say you do what you're best at, and that's what the USA is doing.

Dead civilians = casualties fo war : it's basically that cut and dry. And like someone said before - I'm a civilian also. I don't want to be a casualty, but we now all live with the risk.

And the USA was challenged first - it may be ugly, innocent people have and will continue to die (and for how long nobody knows), but the saying "Pick on someone your own size" was obviously not in these terrorists vocabulary.